Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Entry level Hunting Rifle Recommendation below 1K

Re: Entry level Hunting Rifle Recommendation below 1K

Rookie here: I was in the same boat, I decided on a ruger american 30-06, and a vortex viper scope on sale, came to just over $1k with taxes. I wanted a do-it-all hunting gun for BC. My buds hunt with Tikkas and I have similar weight, and a fantastic trigger, and comparable accuracy (for hunting), they spent around 2k.

If I were to dot again, and the scope wasn't on sale, I'd get the ruger american in.308 with a vortex crossfire 2 scope, under $1k taxes in.

Other option I would consider is getting a mossberg predator with vortex scope package in 308 or 6.5 creedmore and put 300-400 on better binos (vortex - amazing warranty), and still be under $1k. Don't underestimate the value of good (for this budget) glass. My cheap binos fog up nasty, almost unusable this time of year.
    Last edited by joshbazz; 11-09-2018 at 09:25 PM.
    ~
    Adult Onset Hunter
    CCFR Member

Wherever there is Animal Worship there is Human Sacrifice. That is, both symbolically and literally, a real truth of historical experience.
    — G. K. Chesterton

Model 70 Winchester or Tikka T3x, both in stainless is what I would recommend. Just bought new in August and those were the front runners. It really came down to which gun fit me the best, but I then splashed out a little extra on the walnut stock. Optics are most important though, and I saddled my old BSA with a nice Leupold for a few years before I went for the new gun.

Weatherby vangaurd 7mm rem mag, a few years in when you decide you had your fill of deer and want a moose or elk then You can bump up the bullet from a 140 to a 160 instead of wanting to look for the bigger gun your gonna want to grow into eventually. Shoot it lots get over the recoil.

Alsowhen you get more proficient in your rifle skills you can put a timney trigger in for under 200 and shoot dime size groups
    Last edited by BornNRazed; 11-09-2018 at 12:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    Yes. Winchester xpr in 6.5 creedmoor would do you wonders. I have a buddy that shoots that fun and gets half moa groups with hand loads from a $600 gun.. throw a vortex diamondback tactical on there and the whole setup will cost you $1000 give or take.
    He's talking about me, hehe.

Winchester XPR in 6.5 Creedmoor - around $600. There was a $100 rebate at the time, so really $500.
    Vortex Diamondback HP 4-16x42 scope - around $550. There's cheaper options in the Diamondback family, to cut costs, but I wouldn't go down to crossfire. The Diamondback glass is much nicer.
    Talley rings - around $50.

Result, during load development for a varmint/coyote load: https://tinyurl.com/yd2er68l (target image in my google drive)

I don't complain about my setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Yuritau View Post
    He's talking about me, hehe.

Winchester XPR in 6.5 Creedmoor - around $600. There was a $100 rebate at the time, so really $500.
    Vortex Diamondback HP 4-16x42 scope - around $550. There's cheaper options in the Diamondback family, to cut costs, but I wouldn't go down to crossfire. The Diamondback glass is much nicer.
    Talley rings - around $50.

Result, during load development for a varmint/coyote load: https://tinyurl.com/yd2er68l (target image in my google drive)

I don't complain about my setup.
    Nice shooting! I wouldn't complain about that either.

Avoid savages especially the axis series. Vortex Diamondback is ok, viper is better, Leupold is even better.

Don't go with too light of a caliber. I wouldn't try to shoot a big black bear with a .243, but you shouldn't go buy a .338 for a first gun either.

Getting something that you can shoot and practice with, getting the right technique down and some muscle memory without developing a flinch is key. Its funny, I go to the range with some guys, they are all over the place, I ask to shoot their gun and I drive tacks with it. Its all about technique, theres more to it than just pulling the trigger. So cheap easy to find ammo, not a huge amount of kick, and big enough to smack a big bear...

.270, .308, 6.5 creedmore. Something around that, shoot a 140-160g bullet.
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

As said, the 243 is a great "little" rifle , but maybe a little lite for Bear. I would say minimum 308 or 708. My choice for an all round rifle would be in the 06 class.
    270 280 and 30-06 are what I am talking about. They all are based on the 30-06 cartridge case. The 270 was Jack OConnor, the famous Outdoor Life writers
    choice . Took every game animal in North America and a good many African game animals with it.
    One thing to think about is when you are on a hunting trip to someplace out in the boonies , every small general store and hardware store, usually has standard
    caliber cartridges for sale. Don't know if Marshalls in Mackenzie has 6.5 Creedmore ammo or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Would Rather Be Fishing View Post
    Ideally: Both.... But if that is not feasible/recommendable then I settle for "rifle now and save up for scope"
    Totally doable. Like anything its always nice to pay a little more for different features and quality for the long run but you're just starting out and arguably best not to swing for the fence right from the get go

So. I've got quite a few rifles. I used to have quite a few rifles but I'm down to a half dozen or so centre fire rifles. They range in value from 300 to 3000 but for some reason the last couple years I usually pack my Ruger American compact stainless in 308 I bought the stupid thing on a whim I was just intrigued by accuracy and reliability reports and picked one up on sale. Its mainly plastic, has a plastic on plastic magazine catch. OK polymer but whatever. As you see I don't have much love for it but it shoots very well after a little tinkering. Its crazy light and handy. I think that's what does it right there actually. So there's a way to go they also make them full sized instead of compact same price, what are they now ~ 6-700? Less if you don't need stainless. Throw a Vortex crossfire or a similarly priced Nikon on there with decent steel rings and bases and Bob's your uncle. You'll have a dependable rifle with a decent scope that will hold zero and have a nice bright image for around a G note.

Some other ones I would consider would be a Savage model 11 or 111 (not Axis but that's just me). Howa or Vanguard, but they're a little on the heavy side. And as mentioned the best deals would be used and you'd move up a notch in quality for your budget. That might be a bit much to wade through a used choice if you're just starting out but you can always post up questions here if they come up.

First thing I'd do is go to a big box or similarly stocked gun store and handle and fondle a bunch. There's a lot to be said for how a rifle feels holding and shouldering it. It should be an effortless thing going from one to the other. Some rifles will feel right to you and likely some won't. Take your time there's no rush and there's usually very good season end sales around the holidays/new year. Have fun with it...
    Last edited by Salty; 11-09-2018 at 04:32 PM. Reason: spellin
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

Asking this question will give you a bunch of good options but in the end most are personal preference

In my opinion a 270 is a great option. It has enough punch for deer or moose even. Kick is not going to beat you up. 270 ammunition is easy to come by. This may not seem important till you forget you shells and you don’t realize till you’re along way from home standing in som BF no where store with only a few boxes of shells. Shells are a reasonable price and lots of options.

Tons of good options out there for calibers this is just one and why it’s a good first in my opinion

As for brands I hate savage because I find the as poorly made junk own one and it will be the last one I buy. Ruger, Winchester, Remington, Tikka and no doubt some others will treat you well. I can honestly say my wife’s Tikka actually is a tack driver for the price. In the end put them in your hands and see how they feel

In the end lots of options for good hunting calibers/rifles to get the job done. There is also those rifles/calibers that help make you one of the cool kids lol

In the end you’re first rifle is not going to be your last