Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Entry level Hunting Rifle Recommendation below 1K

Entry level Hunting Rifle Recommendation below 1K

What would you recommend as an entry level rifle (deer/bear) for a beginner hunter? Any thoughts appreciated.... Is the below $1K range do-able?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Entry level Hunting Rifle Recommendation below 1K

Yes. Winchester xpr in 6.5 creedmoor would do you wonders. I have a buddy that shoots that fun and gets half moa groups with hand loads from a $600 gun.. throw a vortex diamondback tactical on there and the whole setup will cost you $1000 give or take.

.308 is all you need for deer and bears, light recoil and easy to load and unload --->
    Winchester would be good --
    Jelly -- .308 for bear and deer --

Pick a caliber from .243 on up and find it in a Weatherby Vanguard, Husqvarna, Tikka, Browning, Howa etc. Spend money on a scope, don’t cheap out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Would Rather Be Fishing View Post
    What would you recommend as an entry level rifle (deer/bear) for a beginner hunter? Any thoughts appreciated.... Is the below $1K range do-able?
    $1K can get you a really good hunting rifle/scope combo - no problem. You can also get a very usable/hunt appropriate combo from Cabalas on sale for $400 - as do other outlets like the fine Sponsors and supporters of this website. Depending on your location - try visiting on of the sponsoring shops, yell them you are from this site and tell them what you want and they will help you out with defining the right set up for your size and preference and budget.

You can read all you can absorb here on this site and if you know exactly what you want, you can look for some of the great deals that get posted here. If you're absolutely green and know very little about what to look out for on used firearms, then I would highly recommend to buy new unless you can trust someone to help you.

Overall beginner rifles - there is a lot to chose from but I have no idea if you've fired a rifle or how recoil tolerant you are. Practice is important and a decent bolt action 22LR will help you develop the handling skills and practice you apply to a centerfire rifle. The 22Lr is great because they have no real recoil to speak of and they are inexpensive to shoot a great many rounds. Plus is a great rifle for small game.

Regarding a light recoil deer/bear class rifle - I would recommend to stay away from the extreme ends of that class so I would say most popular calibrers between a .243 and a 30-06. Personally I would focus on 7-08, .270 and .308. Maybe even a 6.5 Creedmoor (I have one and like it) 30-06 is very good but that up in the felt recoil range and you really don't have to start with something that hard on the shoulder.

If you really are a beginner and don't know much about what you really want - buy a new entry level rifle from one of our sponsors and if you find you don't like the rifle, you can re-sell that rifle for very little loss in cash (provided you don't abuse the rifle) or the shop that you bought it from will likely accept it back on trade for something else but expect to lose some on that exchange because the shop obviously needs to make money at what they do.

Someone might offer alternate advice and there is no hard rule to any of this - but it sure can get expensive in a hurry.

If you like Savage Cabella''s has the Savage Axis XP w/scope for 479.99, and the Axis II XP w/scope for 599.99 which are both are decent rifle's. The included scope and rings arn't the best but they will definitely get you started. You could also step up to the Savage 16/116 Trophy Hunter XP w/scope for 939.99. Again the included scope and rings are generally on the cheaper side but will get you started and can always be upgraded at a later date. I have the Trophy hunter in .300 win mag and have no real complaints other than the mag needs to be inserted fairly aggressively in order to seat it. I have a friend who owns the XP in .30-06 with an upgraded Vortex scope and it is also a good shooter. I have read that the synthetic stock is a bit too flexible for a by-pod but I don't use one so I can't confirm that claim.

Lots of good used out there.

Most of the hunting rifles are low round count as well.
    We can only be kept in the cages we do not see. @

$1k for just the rifle or rifle and scope?
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    $1k for just the rifle or rifle and scope?
    Ideally: Both.... But if that is not feasible/recommendable then I settle for "rifle now and save up for scope"

guest Guest

A hunting rifle be it your first or another to add to the pile should be a long time investment in my opinion.

Going cheap..... Gets ya a cheap firearm. Going cheap on a scope is worse and a long awaited hunt might just be ruined by buying cheap junk.

personally, if your not on Canadiangunnutz you should be. Or find a close friend that is. There are many good dealers and reliable dependable sellers. You need to deal through them. Examine their trader ratting.

Dont by new junk that your just going to upgrade down the road because of gun or scope issues . A gun needs to be reliable, dependable, safe, easy to use etc.

Realistically you can get a Model 70 Win , or a Ruger M77, Rem 700, Browning, Marlin etc etc on CGN for half the price and be able to count on it. Sure any gun can have issues...... But, you do get what you pay for . I'd stay away from the entry cheap guns and scopes. Do yourself right and add more bang for your Bucks.

Just my opinion.