Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Entry level Hunting Rifle Recommendation below 1K

Re: Entry level Hunting Rifle Recommendation below 1K

I’m hearing good things about Win XPR and have seen some impressive targets shot with factory ammo. A combo would go for around $800. For a beginner, a 6.5 Creedmoor would work well (though I’d lean on 140 gr bullets for a black bear) but also consider a 7-08 or 308. All good for deer and bear.
    Regards,

Ltbullken
    Freelance Wildlife Population Manager
    Animals - If you can't eat 'em, wear 'em!

Quote Originally Posted by .264winmag View Post
    Along with rubbing the sides they also don't like to be short stroked while feeding.
    All this talk of rubbing and stroking is making me uncomfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Would Rather Be Fishing View Post
    Ideally: Both.... But if that is not feasible/recommendable then I settle for "rifle now and save up for scope"
    As said, a Savage gun amd scope combo isn't a bad idea, that's what I started with, it's dropped quite a few critters...

Yup, better quality, lightly used will be same price ballpark as lower quality new. As stated above, our classifieds here and the gunnutz classified are great sources for used rifles....some GREAT deals can be found. Same goes for optics. No reason you can't find a nice used rifle AND a decent used scope and still hit your budget going this route!

Good luck!
    Chris
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

I have been looking for something similar. I currently shoot a Vangard in 7mm rem mag. Love it but as I am deer hunting 95% of the time, looking for a smaller caliber. Research into entry level guns keeps me coming back to the Mossberg Patriot. Hard to find a negative review out there. They offer a Cerakoat Synthetic model that is on sale at Cabelas right now for $399. They also have a Marinecoat Laminate model which is a little pricier, but a great looking rifle.

Also like the look and reviews of the Savage 16 Stainless lightweight hunter. It can often be had for around $650 on sale.

If I end up spending a little more, I am quite interested in a stainless Vangard (Special edition looks awesome) or a stainless Tikka.

Quote Originally Posted by willyqbc View Post
    Yup, better quality, lightly used will be same price ballpark as lower quality new. As stated above, our classifieds here and the gunnutz classified are great sources for used rifles....some GREAT deals can be found. Same goes for optics. No reason you can't find a nice used rifle AND a decent used scope and still hit your budget going this route!

Good luck!
    Chris

Best way to go on a budget ^^^

Try albertaoutdoorsman.com they have a wide variety of guns and quite often someone is selling a vx ll 3x9 for a reasonable price.

Quote Originally Posted by Redo View Post
    I have been looking for something similar. I currently shoot a Vangard in 7mm rem mag. Love it but as I am deer hunting 95% of the time, looking for a smaller caliber. Research into entry level guns keeps me coming back to the Mossberg Patriot. Hard to find a negative review out there. They offer a Cerakoat Synthetic model that is on sale at Cabelas right now for $399. They also have a Marinecoat Laminate model which is a little pricier, but a great looking rifle.

Also like the look and reviews of the Savage 16 Stainless lightweight hunter. It can often be had for around $650 on sale.

If I end up spending a little more, I am quite interested in a stainless Vangard (Special edition looks awesome) or a stainless Tikka.
    Hmmmmm That's why I’m watching the 7mm08 thread . I like the idea of a Tikka stainless T3 but don’t they have a lot of plastic pieces .? Then there’s all those other manufacturers . I read reviews on the rifles but it gets exhausting guys say Remington’s are not what the used to be ,or so and so is not what they used to be ,geeeeez . I know I had a Winchester bolt action in 30.06 that I bought new in hmmmm in the early 80s had nothing but problems with it Now they say the Model 70 is great like the pre 64 if I have my facts right . Just thoughts . Arctic Lake

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    I’ve heard the same thing from a couple of guys who are way more experienced than most on here (own a gun shop, have hunted most everything in BC and Africa). I bought a 7-08 as my primary deer gun. I usually hunt solo, so don’t go after moose or elk much. What would you recommend as a round for the big critters? I haven’t found anything heavier than 150 grain in factory loads.
    140ttsx out the 7-08 I hear should work fine. Or an accubond, partition, hell I tipped more game over with a .270 150 game king than I can count, moose elk deer b bear goat never an issue...
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Quote Originally Posted by Ltbullken View Post
    I’m hearing good things about Win XPR and have seen some impressive targets shot with factory ammo. A combo would go for around $800. For a beginner, a 6.5 Creedmoor would work well (though I’d lean on 140 gr bullets for a black bear) but also consider a 7-08 or 308. All good for deer and bear.
    The XPR is a Browning X-Bolt action with a barrel made by Bergara on the front of it. The only real weakness in the whole design, imho, is the cheap synthetic stock on it. I think it's a forgivable weakness for a $600 gun, though, they have to cut costs somewhere. And by all the comparisons I've seen online, the XPR stock is better than the Tikka T3 synthetic stocks (I've never handled a Tikka myself, so that remains hearsay).

I plan to upgrade the stock on my XPR in the new year (I like some of the Boyd's offerings), but in all honesty, the gun shoots better than I do even wearing its tupperware.

For the 6.5 Creedmoor bullet suggestion, I would agree. I use the 143gr ELD-X (as do my hunting buddies), and they've proven to be very effective.
    Last edited by Yuritau; 11-10-2018 at 06:14 PM.