Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Entry level Hunting Rifle Recommendation below 1K

Re: Entry level Hunting Rifle Recommendation below 1K

You could have a look at the used Husqvarnas in 30-06 at Tradeex Canada. My brother bought one and I have to say I'm impressed with what he got for the money. Old school quality and an accurate rifle. I like toddbartells suggestion of an Elite 3000 3-9x40, I still have a few of those and they're still a decent quality optic that gets the job done, nice and cheap too. I like the older ones that say Bausch and Lomb on them but even the Bushnell 3200s are good. Actually between the Husky at Tradeex and a used Elite 3000 you could be all set for about $600 I bet, used but not lacking in quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Redo View Post
    Savage 16 LWH in 6.5 Creedmoor $749. Have seen in on sale twice recently for $649

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/11342...t-action-rifle
    Thats a steal even at $750. Actually getting one in your hands could be a different story, been down that road with them before. What's online doesn't always transpire into the real thing. Still worth a try, I'm a check into on days off even though it's the sissy CM. The 11 and 16 models are discontinued, must be getting rid of the last of em..
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    $1000 with scope, I'd look for a used Tikka T3 Lite ($600-700) and find a used Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9x ($150-175) and get some Talley scope rings. 270, 7mm-08 or 308 Win would be 3 good choices.
    ^^^ this!! is good advice.

The tradex 30-06 is a good idea obviously, as others have said dont cheap out on a scope. You might want to consider a Remington 783 in 308, great gun for the money, and 308 will kill anything you need it to with proper shot placement.

gun shows or word of mouth as lots has changed as buying online used as people ?

Quote Originally Posted by Yuritau View Post
    The XPR is a Browning X-Bolt action with a barrel made by Bergara on the front of it. The only real weakness in the whole design, imho, is the cheap synthetic stock on it. I think it's a forgivable weakness for a $600 gun, though, they have to cut costs somewhere. And by all the comparisons I've seen online, the XPR stock is better than the Tikka T3 synthetic stocks (I've never handled a Tikka myself, so that remains hearsay).

I plan to upgrade the stock on my XPR in the new year (I like some of the Boyd's offerings), but in all honesty, the gun shoots better than I do even wearing its tupperware.

For the 6.5 Creedmoor bullet suggestion, I would agree. I use the 143gr ELD-X (as do my hunting buddies), and they've proven to be very effective.
    I think the Tikka stock is better than the XPR stock. Both are very rigid though which is what you want in that kind of stock anyway.
    Regards,

Ltbullken
    Freelance Wildlife Population Manager
    Animals - If you can't eat 'em, wear 'em!

Lots of recommendations for 6.5 Creed. My thoughts are this (and just playing D.A. here): if you are a dumbass and forget your ammo, (and we’ve all forgotten something at one time or another), will the podunk corner store sell 6.5? You know for sure they will have .308, .270 and .30-06, or at least those are the most likely suspects. I’ve never owned a 6.5 so I’m not sure on this. Just putting it out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Redthies View Post
    Lots of recommendations for 6.5 Creed. My thoughts are this (and just playing D.A. here): if you are a dumbass and forget your ammo, (and we’ve all forgotten something at one time or another), will the podunk corner store sell 6.5? You know for sure they will have .308, .270 and .30-06, or at least those are the most likely suspects. I’ve never owned a 6.5 so I’m not sure on this. Just putting it out there.
    it happens or the I will stop and pick up a box at X store and forget to

Have not done it myself but 3 different hunting partners have. They probably blame me for telling them come on hurry up get it together we should have left already lol

I bought my first rifle 9 years ago. Like many I wanted an entry level gun I could use to hunt all (most) species. I was clueless, (and probably still am). Cost was the most important factor. I wasn't sure how much I would be hunting and figured I could upgrade my rifle down the road once I got the hang of it. I told the sales guy this and he pulled out a savage axis ll in .270. It was a combo sale mounted with a cheap tasco scope. I bought the gun, I think it was in the $500-600 range. Of course the gas went in the scope within the first year and I replaced it with a redfield revolution 3-9x40 (I think it was in the $250 range). I agree with the comment about avoiding the combo package. It doesn't have to be your forever scope to start but you can get significant gains in quality for not that much more money buying them separately.

If I could do it again I would also look for a used rifle and scope, as many have suggested above.

I have hunted with the savage/redfield for the last 8 years and managed to harvest moose, elk, and all three species of deer with it. I'm still not a gun guy, point and shoot seems to work fine. I didn't account for needing to buy all of my other hunting gear when I first bought the gun so upgrading was put off long after I knew that I was in love with hunting. Adding range finder, binoculars, spotting scope, packs, boots etc seemed to always take priority over a new rifle, especially when I had one that works. I finally upgraded my rifle and scope this summer.

I think you will find something that works for you for under $1,000 for sure. I get buy once, cry once, for optics, but whatever gets you out there for a rife right now will work. if you need/want to upgrade down the road and lose a bit of money on your first gun you can cross that bridge when you get there. I didn't sell the savage when I upgraded. It's my son's gun now. He was a toddler when I bought it. Possibly something to consider? time flies!

I never imagined I would own more than one gun but I have 5 now. I never imagined I would be comfortable investing thousands of dollars on hunting equipment but I have. I'm not saying someone needs to do that to be successful but my perspective has changed as my passion for hunting has grown. I think spending money on hunting is a lot wrap your head around when you are just starting out. If you don't have the money to spend, get what you can and get out there! you don't need something fancy. It is going to be fantastic either way!

All the best to you on your purchase and future hunting!

Like many others have said get on CanadianGunNutz and search for a combo sell, Or a Husky 1600/1900 in 06 or 6.5x55 (495$ for a good shooter) and buy used glass and talley mounts off of Gun Nutz. My buddies girlfriend bought a mossberg patriot with the cheap vortex combo... as soon as you hold it you can tell its a cheaply made firearm, stock had flex in it and the flashing wasnt even removed.