Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Entry level Hunting Rifle Recommendation below 1K

Re: Entry level Hunting Rifle Recommendation below 1K

I love my Weatherby vangaurd, browning ab3, used browning BLR, Winchester model 70

Would Rather Be Fishing, not sure where you reside, but not only handle as many guns as you can to get a feel for them. When you have settled on something you might like to shoot, ask around your area and you may find someone that would allow you to shoot that caliber of rifle. Offer to buy a box of the ammo that their rifle likes.
    Myself I would recommend a Tikka T3 Lite SS in a caliber you choose with a peep sight. Just my preference.

My only suggestion would be to buy a bare rifle,some not all package guns come with mounts and scopes that are crap all new guns seem to shoot well but if the scope fails you hunt over

Don't know why the hating on the savage rifles, although not a huge fan of the axis I own two model 16's and a 111. Great rifles, a couple shoot as good as any other factory option you'll find. The 16 lwh is finicky but plenty good for 450yds in the boiler room. I would agree with staying away from the package deals as the scope/rings leave a lot to be desired. Tikka is a great option also. I'm sure there's others but I'm not familiar with them all...
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Quote Originally Posted by .264winmag View Post
    Don't know why the hating on the savage rifles, although not a huge fan of the axis I own two model 16's and a 111. Great rifles, a couple shoot as good as any other factory option you'll find. The 16 lwh is finicky but plenty good for 450yds in the boiler room. I would agree with staying away from the package deals as the scope/rings leave a lot to be desired. Tikka is a great option also. I'm sure there's others but I'm not familiar with them all...
    I find people either love their savage or they hate it. I owned 2 111’s and to me they just felt sloppy.

Quote Originally Posted by Fella View Post
    I find people either love their savage or they hate it. I owned 2 111’s and to me they just felt sloppy.
    'Feel' of action means nothing in the function and accuracy department. Just gotta learn to rub the sides Fella
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

'Feel' of action means nothing in the function and accuracy department. Just gotta learn to rub the sides Fella
    There were other things, misfeeds, issues with the detachable mags etc.

Brand new out of the box and miss fired 50% of the time is my experience with buying a savage

My experience with savage is less then stellar.

Quote Originally Posted by BCBRAD View Post
    Lots of good used out there.

Most of the hunting rifles are low round count as well.
    Amen Brother!!
    another vote for the Savage Axis Combo, ask one of our sponsor outlets if they would be willing to trade the included (unused) scope (and rings) on a upgraded model of your choice and budget and you'll have a good and rugged starter setup for deer/bear under or about $1000
    .308 would be my round of choice for budgetary concerns
    PS dont be afraid to ask guys behind the counter in the shop if they would sell a scope separately off the trade-in or used rifles rack they display in store, you may often get a great scope for a great deal and the shop can make some cash too!
    Good luck with your purchase whatever you decide
    "Just ask anybody who packs a 338... the 30-06 will bounce off a grizzly!"

"I am not here to awaken sheep, I am here to awaken sleeping lions" Husky7mm

I’d look at the classified ads here too. Lots of good used. That said, although I have a bunch of very expensive rifles and carbines, when I wanted a bolt gun for deer, I bought a Ruger American in 7-08, and mounted a Nikon Prostaff 4-12x40 on it. It is ridiculously accurate for a $500 rifle. I liked it so much I bought a nice Boyd’s wood stock for it. I only use it to hunt. It should last plenty long enough putting less than 20 rounds per year through it. Before the stock, I was in right at $1000.