Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Entry level Hunting Rifle Recommendation below 1K

Re: Entry level Hunting Rifle Recommendation below 1K

My girlfriend and I both bought entry level guns for our first year hunting. After the first year we both upgraded and took losses on our investments. With guns, buy once cry once is especially true in my opinion. Don’t over look the used market either. Lots of great hunters pack around an old Parker Hale .303 or Husqvarna ‘06.

More of a comment than a recommendation....

I picked up a Savage Model 11 with a cheap Bushnell scope a few years ago. .308

It was on sale for under $500, and I have to say, it shoots straight and kills shit.

I've always been a fan of the .308 and have a few of them, but this gun (still with the cheap scope) just keeps doing the job.

2 cents....

spend less on gear, more on hunting trips. some can afford both, if not then spend on the experience.

$1000 with scope, I'd look for a used Tikka T3 Lite ($600-700) and find a used Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9x ($150-175) and get some Talley scope rings. 270, 7mm-08 or 308 Win would be 3 good choices. Shoot Federal Fusion ammo or Hornady American WT
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Brand new out of the box and miss fired 50% of the time is my experience with buying a savage

My experience with savage is less then stellar.
    one rifle is hardly a reason to right off a company. Shit guys send vortex crap back multiple times and keep on buying the same junk HA
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Quote Originally Posted by Fella View Post
    There were other things, misfeeds, issues with the detachable mags etc.
    Along with rubbing the sides they also don't like to be short stroked while feeding.
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    $1000 with scope, I'd look for a used Tikka T3 Lite ($600-700) .270, 7mm-08 or 308 Win would be 3 good choices.
    I agree with the above, if a used T3 comes along. I’m a big fan of Nikon optics. You can buy a new Prostaff for very reasonable money. Unless you’re gung-ho for elk or moose in the near future, the calibers Tod listed are perfect for deer or other medium game.

If you look here at the used section, you will see multiple versions of .338, .300wsm, 7mm Rem magnum etc. These are the go to calibres for bigger game. You could hunt deer with them, and many do so very successfully, but ammo will cost more and be less pleasant to shoot.

There is a lot of good advice in this thread, but it will always be a Dodge/Ford/Chev type debate.
    Last edited by Redthies; 11-10-2018 at 07:09 AM.

I would and have never felt outgunned for elk/moose/goat with a .270. The 7-08 and .308 would be just as, if not more effective.

Quote Originally Posted by .264winmag View Post
    I would and have never felt outgunned for elk/moose/goat with a .270. The 7-08 and .308 would be just as, if not more effective.
    I’ve heard the same thing from a couple of guys who are way more experienced than most on here (own a gun shop, have hunted most everything in BC and Africa). I bought a 7-08 as my primary deer gun. I usually hunt solo, so don’t go after moose or elk much. What would you recommend as a round for the big critters? I haven’t found anything heavier than 150 grain in factory loads.

Quote Originally Posted by .264winmag View Post
    one rifle is hardly a reason to right off a company. Shit guys send vortex crap back multiple times and keep on buying the same junk HA
    I know others who have had issues with safeties, poorly beded barrels, sloppy action and complaints of accuracy issues. After hearing people like yourself say it’s just one rifle I started asking around. Easy to write savage off whe there is a lot of better options. I would rather pay a few extra $ on quality construction and reliability

Savage seems to be a love or hate brand and I would say that is do to inconsistent quality. I am not a fan boy of any one brand basically I won’t own a savage, new 870(old ones good), and Mossberg pumps seem to wear fast. I don’t write things off without a reason

You like savage all good myself I will buy basically everything but