Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I just put diesel in my tank for the last time...

Re: I just put diesel in my tank for the last time...

Clarke, what type of truck are you running this on now? Turbo diesel?

Do you have any info on your filtering system to originally clean the oil? Are you just getting the oil from work, bringing it home running it from one barrel through a filter and into another barrel?

How about storage do you need to keep a lot on hand or is the filtering process quick and easy enough that you can keep small amounts on hand and make more when needed?

I have been thinking of selling my ranger and getting a diesel pickup for a while now but school and work have been getting in the way for the past few years. I might look into it this coming April.

What kind of milage are you getting? Obviously a $12-15 day down to a $1 is great any idea how much it works out to in MPG?

$2500 is pretty good deal if you have access to the oil that should take a year or less to pay off at the costs you have stated above!

Thanks for all the info keep on enjoying the benefits!

Rhys

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhys View Post
    Clarke, what type of truck are you running this on now? Turbo diesel?
    1995 Dodge 2500 Cumins

Do you have any info on your filtering system to originally clean the oil? Are you just getting the oil from work, bringing it home running it from one barrel through a filter and into another barrel?
    I get the guys at work to run it through a paper deep fryer filter (think giant coffee filter) That removes 90% of the solids. Then the oil is poured back in to the jugs it came in. I take it home and let it sit for a week or 2 and settle, and then pour the top part into the gas tank. Any particles left over get trapped by the Vormax fuel filter.

I will be rigging up a pump to do this easier, but this method works fine for now.

How about storage do you need to keep a lot on hand or is the filtering process quick and easy enough that you can keep small amounts on hand and make more when needed?
    I keep quite bit on hand, but you can buy or make pump/filter combos that allow you to skip the settling process.

What kind of milage are you getting? Obviously a $12-15 day down to a $1 is great any idea how much it works out to in MPG?
    No, I'd have to measure it calculate it, etc...I'm not that smart or motivated. When I did my old Ford Powerstroke I noticed I was filling up *slightly* more frequently than with diesel

$2500 is pretty good deal if you have access to the oil that should take a year or less to pay off at the costs you have stated above!
    For me, I am spending about $500 a month in fuel, So, 5 months would be break even....I already got 2 months out of the system on my Ford, so 3 months form now I break even.

I'll keep the truck for several more years, as long as I dont' encounter dumbass pedestrians in the middle of the highway in a blizzard.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Cool thanks for the response!

Rhys

hmm we have same truck - was thinking of putting the for sale sign back on it hmmmm

A Real Southern Canadian Beaver &
    I am Proud to be 100% Canadian "Y'ALL"
    + 110% Redneck Woman "Yehaww"

redneck wedding vow: til huntin season do we part
    watch Alison's Kitchen on "Nice Fish Pro Staff" with Gary Cooper

My old man has been putting used oil into his Mercedes for a few years now.

i never thought of the non trans vs trans fat before.....that could be something worth reading up on. as far as i know (and i might be wrong, going on 2nd hand info) but some of the bio diesels out there (and there are a few) are just as you stated, 15%(+or -) diesel, and the rest veggie, or similar. the non trans fat its something of real interest.....thanks for the insight!!!

steve

The thing about the trans fat fryer shortening is that parts of it will solidify at room temperature. Non trans fat shortening, or regular vegetable oil- will not.

Old style lard type shortening cannot be used, as far as I know.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Thumbs up Re: I just put diesel in my tank for the last time...

very cool Clarke......keep us posted on how it does for you.