Page 47 of 85 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast

Thread: Wild game Dinners

Re: Wild game Dinners 2018/2019

Quote Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
    Brettsalami. Ok gents, I'll see if I can get the recipe with the Elk from my daughter. It was a pretty hefty package of ground Elk. There are many variations including some that use only pork. In this case the Elk replaced beef which is combined with pork, pork belly & pork fat. Other than that it's a matter of which spices to use. There are recipes that don't involve smoking, but I think smoking is not only tastier but safer as there is no cooking involved. The mixture is kept at 20 Celsius for the 1st 4 days of the cure. Keep it covered but not air tight & turn it once a day. A screened dome or porous cloth of some sort will work. Then 8 hours in cold smoker, or to taste. Another few days on the board, depending on how dry you want it.

Until my daughter gets back to me, here's a video that's probably close to what she did, but with Beef vs Elk. The meat doesn't need to be ground if you have your own grinder. The board needs to be untreated & dry, I think she used pine. It absorbs moisture during the initial cure at 20C. Sorry it's in German, the ingredients are provided below the video. He also mentions a starter culture but it's not mandatory. He provides a link to amazon for starter culture stuff. He calls his spice mixture Hungarian.

Zutaten für 1,5 kg Wurstmasse: - Ingredients for 1.5 kg mixture
    825 g Mageres Schweinefleisch - Lean Pork
    300 g Mageres Rindfleisch - Lean Beef
    275 g Bauchfleisch vom Schwein - Pork Belly
    100 g Schweinerückenspeck - Pork Back (bacon?), looks like straight fat to me in the video
    40,5 g Pökelsalz - not sure of exact translation here, pickling salt or some kind of 'curing' salt with nitrite/nitrate or salt peter
    7,5 g Schwarzer Pfeffer, gemahlen - Ground Black Pepper
    15 g Paprika, edelsüß - sweet or mild
    4,5 g Paprika, scharf - hot
    4,5 g Traubenzucker (wichtig für die Umrötung) - grape sugar (important for reddening), that might be hard to find, common in Germany
    7,5 g Knoblauch, frisch oder gemahlen - Garlic, fresh or ground

Thanks Mike, will wait for the English version.
    WLM
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. - Clint Eastwood
    "Lots of critters to still shoot. And there'll be no quitters until we bag some critters" - 180grainer
    "Politicians should wear sponsor jackets like Nascar drivers, then we know who owns them" - Robin Williams

Flush the Turd!

Located and residing on the unceded territory of European Settler's traditional land.
    Click here to learn more 🖕

Quote Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
    Thanks Mike, will wait for the English version.
    Elk Brett Salami

**Wash hands, sterilize all tools to be used**

Untreated, unsealed natural wood board (no cuts, divots, coatings)
    Picnic food covers
    800g Ground Elk
    200g Fatty Pork Belly (rindless)
    Per 1kg ground mix
    25g Nitrite Curing Salt (0.4%) {in my case 12.5g sure cure 12.5 g table/sea salt}
    4g ground pepper
    2g cracked pepper
    2g Cardamom
    2g Coriander
    2g Nutmeg
    2g Garlic Powder

***Any Salami recipe with the appropriate amount of curing salt will work though!***

If grinding your own meat:
    Cut meat and belly into strips according to your grinder type
    Weigh and mix seasonings
    Mix seasonings and meat until all seasoning adheres to the meat and none is sticking to your
    bowl.
    Freeze for approx. 1 hour.
    Grind on 4.5mm
    If using pre- ground simply mix seasoning with meat at this point.
    The ground now needs to be mixed until a nice sticky consistency is achieved.
    Once the meat has bound form patties. The patties should not be more than 3cm thick and have
    no air pockets and a smooth exterior surface. To achieve this I first form a ball and then slam it
    down on a clean surface several times and “spank” it until it has the right size and thickness and
    I’m sure there is no air inclusions. I dampen my hands to smooth out any crevices. Crevices =
    mould growth = not tasty salami.
    Place the patties on your board and store in a well ventilated area at a temp between 17 to 20C.
    Flip daily. The first flip can be dicey so use a sterilized spatula.
    After 4 to 7 days the salami is ready to be cold smoked. 2 x 6 hours with a 12 to 24 hour resting
    periods between smoking. Rest back in original location.
    Once smoked store an additional 2 to 3 days on the board in the same spot flipping daily.
    At this point you can test your salami. If you like it a bit drier, wrap loosely in paper towel and
    store in the fridge, flipping daily until desired consistency is achieved.
    If you like your salami softer, store in plastic/vacuum seal...if it makes it there.

This is the link she gave me for the curing salt used.

https://www.stuffers.com/collections...e-surecure-5kg

She gave me this link as one she liked. Note the cheese cloth used to cover & raising the patties up on chop sticks later to inhibit mould from forming. He uses shot glasses to keep the cheesecloth raised above the meat patties while curing. Also in German but the visuals should help. At the end he brushes it with gelatine to help a spice coating adhere to the finished salami.

Last edited by mike31154; 11-30-2021 at 03:51 PM.

Thumbs up Re: Wild game Dinners 2018/2019

AWESOME Mike!!

Many Thanks!

Going to have to give that one a whirl...

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Quote Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
    Elk Brett Salami

**Wash hands, sterilize all tools to be used**

Untreated, unsealed natural wood board (no cuts, divots, coatings)
    Picnic food covers
    800g Ground Elk
    200g Fatty Pork Belly (rindless)
    Per 1kg ground mix
    25g Nitrite Curing Salt (0.4%) {in my case 12.5g sure cure 12.5 g table/sea salt}
    4g ground pepper
    2g cracked pepper
    2g Cardamom
    2g Coriander
    2g Nutmeg
    2g Garlic Powder

***Any Salami recipe with the appropriate amount of curing salt will work though!***

If grinding your own meat:
    Cut meat and belly into strips according to your grinder type
    Weigh and mix seasonings
    Mix seasonings and meat until all seasoning adheres to the meat and none is sticking to your
    bowl.
    Freeze for approx. 1 hour.
    Grind on 4.5mm
    If using pre- ground simply mix seasoning with meat at this point.
    The ground now needs to be mixed until a nice sticky consistency is achieved.
    Once the meat has bound form patties. The patties should not be more than 3cm thick and have
    no air pockets and a smooth exterior surface. To achieve this I first form a ball and then slam it
    down on a clean surface several times and “spank” it until it has the right size and thickness and
    I’m sure there is no air inclusions. I dampen my hands to smooth out any crevices. Crevices =
    mould growth = not tasty salami.
    Place the patties on your board and store in a well ventilated area at a temp between 17 to 20C.
    Flip daily. The first flip can be dicey so use a sterilized spatula.
    After 4 to 7 days the salami is ready to be cold smoked. 2 x 6 hours with a 12 to 24 hour resting
    periods between smoking. Rest back in original location.
    Once smoked store an additional 2 to 3 days on the board in the same spot flipping daily.
    At this point you can test your salami. If you like it a bit drier, wrap loosely in paper towel and
    store in the fridge, flipping daily until desired consistency is achieved.
    If you like your salami softer, store in plastic/vacuum seal...if it makes it there.

This is the link she gave me for the curing salt used.

https://www.stuffers.com/collections...e-surecure-5kg

She gave me this link as one she liked. Note the cheese cloth used to cover & raising the patties up on chop sticks later to inhibit mould from forming. He uses shot glasses to keep the cheesecloth raised above the meat patties while curing. Also in German but the visuals should help. At the end he brushes it with gelatine to help a spice coating adhere to the finished salami.

Thanks a lot!
    WLM
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. - Clint Eastwood
    "Lots of critters to still shoot. And there'll be no quitters until we bag some critters" - 180grainer
    "Politicians should wear sponsor jackets like Nascar drivers, then we know who owns them" - Robin Williams

Flush the Turd!

Located and residing on the unceded territory of European Settler's traditional land.
    Click here to learn more 🖕

Courtesy of a Fine Friend!

Stuffed and slow roasted (clay bake) Pheasant:

Served with roasted squash and a fine Merlot.

It was extremely tasty, very moist and very tender.

Cheers - Nog

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    Courtesy of a Fine Friend!

Stuffed and slow roasted (clay bake) Pheasant:

Served with roasted squash and a fine Merlot.

It was extremely tasty, very moist and very tender.

Cheers - Nog

I assume "clay bake" as in a clay pot?

I've always been interested in actual clay baking, where you cover a fish or something in mud and put it in a fire. We did it once when I was a kid on a multi day hike through the mountains. Caught a trout and as the river bank had some clay type mud on the banks we tried it as someone had read about it somewhere. It worked ok, kind of like a salt bake thing. Peeled off the skin with the clay when it was removed so no dirt in it. I think we used some twigs to pin the stomach cavity shut. Never done it since but I'm sure now there is a youtube tutorial on it.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Arrow Re: Wild game Dinners 2018/2019

Quote Originally Posted by Gateholio View Post
    I assume "clay bake" as in a clay pot?
    Yep. One of these:

Always produces moist and tender dishes. Very much love this piece of kitchen kit.

I've done what you were referring to regarding actual clay baking.
    With an entire pork hind, and a whole whitetail hind.
    Both were buried among coals and left for hours.
    Truly delicious results!!

Cheers,
    Nog

Guess he got to Know me

Rotisserie Whitetail Top Sirloin:

Served up with Oven Roasted taters and Caramelized Brussels:

And of course the usual fine Merlot.

Splendid!

Cheers,
    Nog

Guess he got to Know me

deer and bear lengua tacos with home made pico and home made pickled red onions

Last edited by warnniklz; 12-27-2021 at 12:50 PM.

Clay Baked Slow Cooked Stuffed Pheasant:

Served up with Maple Baked Yams, Air fried Brussels with Bacon Bits (real) and Pine Nuts, Stuffing and a Very Fine French Merlot / Cab Cross.

Christmas was Wonderful!

Cheers & Happy Boxing Day!
    Nog

Guess he got to Know me