Page 49 of 85 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast

Thread: Wild game Dinners

Re: Wild game Dinners 2018/2019

Hey Nog,
    Can you run me through the steps on roasting a duck? My boys have really gotten into duck hunting and they have been doing very well. I love to cook and we have done duck pepperoni, goose jerky, mallard steaks, slow cooked etc. I want to try roasting one. The cleaning process looks pretty simple. Do you singe the hairs off? After that any special tricks with the roasting like cooking temps, length of roast, complimentary flavours or spices etc?

Much appreciated,
    Brian

Arrow Re: Wild game Dinners 2018/2019

Hey & Hi Brian,

The dinner I posted above was based on a domestic farm raised duck.
    That said, our family roasted a LOT of wild ducks when we lived in Saskatchewan, and I continued that in both Alberta & the NWT.

For the domestic one I collected this year the cleaning was straightforward as you suggest.
    Used my buddy's drill mounted plucker and there were no "hairs" left when finished.
    If there were, a simply quick pass of a propane torch would remedy that quickly.

I've toyed with and used various recipes over the years.
    The one I will link below is the closest to what I do now.
    It is extremely consistent, and turns out VERY Well each and every time:

https://juliasalbum.com/how-to-cook-duck/

Options:

You can use apple or orange for the stuffing rather than lemon

Watch the process rather carefully. I have found that they will often move along the cooking process somewhat quicker than what the recipe calls for (they base the recipe on a 6 lb bird - many wildies are smaller so require less cooking time)

Feel free to ask if you have any related questions after giving that a boo...

And please do post up when you try it on!

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Thanks Nog,

That's exactly what I'm looking for. I'll give that a try.

Brian

Thumbs up Re: Wild game Dinners 2018/2019

Quote Originally Posted by Breiber View Post
    That's exactly what I'm looking for. I'll give that a try.
    Any time, and please do let us know how it turns out for you...

Last night:

Butterflied, then stuffed with Chanterelle based stuffing, Pork Chops in the Air Fryer:

Served with more stuffing, and caramelized Brussels (also done in the Air Fryer):

And of course the usual fine Red.

Cheers,
    Nog

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Massive Alberta AAA Prime Rib Steak last night:

Served up with Chipotle Cheddar Pasta and Air Fried Turnips & Carrots:

Melt in your mouth Delicious!

Cheers,
    Nog

Guess he got to Know me

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    Hey & Hi Brian,

The dinner I posted above was based on a domestic farm raised duck.
    That said, our family roasted a LOT of wild ducks when we lived in Saskatchewan, and I continued that in both Alberta & the NWT.

For the domestic one I collected this year the cleaning was straightforward as you suggest.
    Used my buddy's drill mounted plucker and there were no "hairs" left when finished.
    If there were, a simply quick pass of a propane torch would remedy that quickly.

I've toyed with and used various recipes over the years.
    The one I will link below is the closest to what I do now.
    It is extremely consistent, and turns out VERY Well each and every time:

https://juliasalbum.com/how-to-cook-duck/

Options:

You can use apple or orange for the stuffing rather than lemon

Watch the process rather carefully. I have found that they will often move along the cooking process somewhat quicker than what the recipe calls for (they base the recipe on a 6 lb bird - many wildies are smaller so require less cooking time)

Feel free to ask if you have any related questions after giving that a boo...

And please do post up when you try it on!

Cheers,
    Nog
    I'm gonna try that next time I get a duck, it's one of my favorites, I like a lot more than chicken.
    Thanks Matt.

When I lived in Vancouver I used to go to Chinatown and buy either a whole or half a barbecue duck.
    I really like how the Chinese make it and considering you don't have to do any cooking it was a good deal.
    WLM
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. - Clint Eastwood
    "Lots of critters to still shoot. And there'll be no quitters until we bag some critters" - 180grainer
    "Politicians should wear sponsor jackets like Nascar drivers, then we know who owns them" - Robin Williams

Flush the Turd!

Located and residing on the unceded territory of European Settler's traditional land.
    Click here to learn more 🖕

Air Fried Whitetail Stuffed Red Peppers with Cheesy Garlic Toast:

Turned out very well!

Cheers,
    Nog

Guess he got to Know me

All this duck talk lead to this:

roasted duck
    Fried onions
    candied orange jam
    horse radish
    swiss cheese
    pea shoots
    orange duck butter gravy (not shown) for dipping

That's looking real good.
    I think I'm gonna do some duck confit
    WLM
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. - Clint Eastwood
    "Lots of critters to still shoot. And there'll be no quitters until we bag some critters" - 180grainer
    "Politicians should wear sponsor jackets like Nascar drivers, then we know who owns them" - Robin Williams

Flush the Turd!

Located and residing on the unceded territory of European Settler's traditional land.
    Click here to learn more 🖕

I did a small turkey on the BBQ rotisserie a while back, 12 lbs. Turned out fantastic. There are some good YouTubes on how that's done. Chicken & duck will be similar. If you have a BBQ with the indirect back burner so much the better. You can put a tray under the bird to catch the drippings which are minimal since it continues to self baste as it's rotating. As well as putting some veggies & potatoes in the tray, I stuffed the bird with herbs, garlic, onion, diced potatoes etc. I also skewered a whole lemon on to the spit that flavoured the chest cavity nicely.

Any of the wild ducks I've bagged I generally just take the breast, perhaps a leg if it's a sizeable bird. Mostly they're too small to go to all the trouble of cleaning the entire bird.
    Last edited by mike31154; 01-15-2022 at 01:04 PM.