Page 39 of 85 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Thread: Wild game Dinners

Re: Wild game Dinners 2018/2019

Morning breakfast, garlic deer bits, eggs and toast, done on the woodstove in the garage.

Thumbs up Re: Wild game Dinners 2018/2019

Whitetail, Lamb & Pork Tenderloins as well as a chunk of free range buzzard Fondue:

Great meal to end an otherwise horrid year...

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Maple Bacon Wrapped Whitetail Tenderloins on the BarBee:

Caramelized Brussels with Pecans, Butternut, Maple & Cinnamon:

Served with three cheese pasta (of course topped with 3 grated cheeses) and a fine red:

Cheers,
    Nog

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Mule deer carne asada... unauthentic...

Marinade (1-4 hours):
    Cilantro
    Soy sauce
    Brown sugar
    cumin
    minced garlic
    salt and pepper
    Lime Juice
    Lime Zest

Plating:
    Homemade Tortilla (flour, salt, baking powder, oil, water)
    Challot
    Cherry Tomato
    Avacado w/ chilli pepper
    Cilantro
    Salsa Verte

Looks like I missed a couple of posts! Looking good guys!

Tonight was blacktail deer ribs.

Deer ribs are more work than pork or beef ribs, but if you do them right they are pretty good.

Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by Gateholio View Post
    Tonight was blacktail deer ribs.

Deer ribs are more work than pork or beef ribs, but if you do them right they are pretty good.
    Well then Gate, you should enlighten us as to the right way to make these!!

Can always use another good rib recipe!

Cheers,
    Nog

Guess he got to Know me

Most deer ribs get left behind or boned out and ground up, not cooked on the bone.

Cooking them on the bone has a couple of challenges compared to pork ribs.

For starters, deer meat is going to be much more lean without the marbling of pork or beef. And the other big problem is that deer ribs have exterior fat that is more tallow and not a tasty fat like pork. So first, pull/cut off any exterior fat you can easily get at.

Then you want to descum them. You do this by using a traditional method of making chicken stock, which is to cover them in cold water then slowly bring up to a simmer. Most of the excess fat, blood and other impurities will melt off and rise to the top. You want to skim this off with a ladle and keep doing this until most of it is gone. simmering for about 20 minutes should get most of the crap out.

Like this

So you've skimmed off the crap and not much more is coming out, great.

Take them out of the water... the water has done it's job.

So take a look at the ribs, you might find some chunks of gooey fat sticking out so if you do, pull them out and discard.

Because deer ribs are lean, using a moist cooking technique rather than a low and slow southern rib BBQ technique. Put the ribs in the slow cooker or if you don't have one, use a deep pan that you can put in the oven and cover .

Now is the time to impart some flavourings to the ribs, so toss in stuff that you normally would in a dry rub. Salt, pepper, chili, paprika, onion, garlic, etc. I use saambal olek chili sauce too. Pour on some beef stock and it's time to let them cook low and slow for a few hours until the meat is tender.

Once they are cooked you want to crisp them up a bit and give them some texture. You can do that on your grill or under the broiler. Once they have some char and stuff, apply some bbq sauce and heat them up a bit more.

*** Pro tip- I find most commercial BBQ sauces too sweet and since the deer ribs will invariably still have some tallow type fat lurking about I like to make a real vinegar based BBQ sauce. Lots of them call for ketchup but since ketchup is pretty sweet I make it with a tomato puree/strained tomatoes (the Italian stuff that comes in tall skinny jars) and I use apple cider vinegar and seasonings. I also will take the cooking liquid and reduce it in a pot while skimming it constantly to remove the impurities and fat. I'll add that into the BBQ sauce. So this is far from a traditional BBQ sauce, but it's good and tangy and meaty. But use whatever sauce you like!
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Excellent! Many Thanks Gate!
    I have put this one away for future reference, and WILL be giving it a try.

Cheers!
    Nog

Guess he got to Know me

Been a tad busy with the smoking processes to post on this one, but rest assured, our Buddha Bellies are being well looked after!

Last night was our version of Surf & Turf. Bacon Wraps (Whitetail) & Prawns on the Barbee, Garlic Pasta with shredded 4 cheese on top, an excellent Salsa stye Salad, and a very fine Red:

None to Shabby if I do say so myself!

Cheers,
    Nog

Guess he got to Know me

Arrow Re: Wild game Dinners 2018/2019

Felt the need for another seafood feast...

Oysters on the half shell and sauteed prawns getting ready for the show:

Smoked Oysters on the BarBee:

Quick flash for the prawns:

Served up with four cheese risotto, fresh sourdough bread and a fine red:

Guess he got to Know me