Page 62 of 85 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472 ... LastLast

Thread: Wild game Dinners

Re: Wild game Dinners

An exciting week to have a whole deer down. we're eating through all the good stuff while it is fresh before the bulk hits the freezer.
    However, tonight was probably the most eclectic wild game dinner I've ever had...albeit still ultimately delicious.

tacos were the idea...

deer tongue, poached then panko fried
    flat iron steak
    and chicken fried squirrel legs on the side. i vacuum bagged and poached the squirrel in garlic butter for a couple hours, then fried. so it was fall off the bone tender.

Thumbs up Re: Wild game Dinners

^^^ Outstanding ^^^
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Quote Originally Posted by upperleftcoaster View Post
    An exciting week to have a whole deer down. we're eating through all the good stuff while it is fresh before the bulk hits the freezer.
    However, tonight was probably the most eclectic wild game dinner I've ever had...albeit still ultimately delicious.

tacos were the idea...

deer tongue, poached then panko fried
    flat iron steak
    and chicken fried squirrel legs on the side. i vacuum bagged and poached the squirrel in garlic butter for a couple hours, then fried. so it was fall off the bone tender.

Wow that's awesome... lol I've been tempted to eat squirrel but like most small game, I pass because of the small quantity of meat obtained..so how much meat do you get off a squirrel, on avg?

Cool Re: Wild game Dinners

She Who Rules suggested I am something of a messy cook at time:

I didn't think that was messy at all!

Made a double clutch of my favorite chili recipe (canning the balance today).
    This is an interesting recipe in that the Maple flavors allow you to heat it right up, but no burn on the tongue. Discovered that a few years back and do it every time now. In the recipe below you can adjust the heat range to your liking...

Chili

Ingredients

2lbs ground or diced venison (I generally use ~ 1 lb of each)
    1 large sweet onion diced
    2 Medium sized red bell peppers diced
    1 lb mushrooms sliced
    5 large garlic cloves thin shaved
    1.5 cups homemade sun dried tomatoes (can use store bought – reduce to 1 cup)

1 can 14 ounce Stag Dynamite hot chili
    1 28 ounce can herb & spices diced tomatoes
    1 20 ounce can red kidney beans
    1 20 ounce can black beans
    2 cans maple cured brown beans
    1 small can herb & spice tomato paste

3 tablespoons chili powder
    1.5 – 2 teaspoons dehydrated red pepper
    2 teaspoons spicy mesquite seasoning
    A good squirt of Beer & Chipotle Barbecue sauce

Optional: 1 – 2 tablespoons maple syrup

Method

Brown meat in a tablespoon or two of olive oil.
    Toss in onions and mushrooms and heat until onion is close to transparent
    Toss in the cans of chili, diced tomatoes, kidney beans, black beans (keep the juices from each and pour into mix) & tomato paste
    Toss in shaved garlic & sun dried tomatoes
    Add all spices & mix well.

Cook for ~ 30 minutes.
    Add maple cured brown beans
    Simmer for around an hour

ENJOY!

Nog

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    Wow that's awesome... lol I've been tempted to eat squirrel but like most small game, I pass because of the small quantity of meat obtained..so how much meat do you get off a squirrel, on avg?
    not a lot of meat on a squirrel, obviously. This was a smaller one for sure. But it you get into the fat grey squirrels running around town each leg is about the size of a chicken wing. Plus you can get the saddle/back piece off them.

I like the taste of the squirrel. It’s quite plain actually, very approachable.

Rack of venison, with the fat. Aged two weeks in the fridge after killing.

Only salt and pepper, seared off, fat side down to start. Once browned up, into a 400 degree oven to come up to temp, fat side up to baste the meat as it renders. Rested for about 20 minutes afterwards.

It came out superb, 130 degrees in the middle after resting, and fed six people - two of whom had never had white-tailed deer. Served family style on the cutting board. I could have easily seared off each deer lollipop for that extra nice crust, but I don't mind showing the colour.

In my opinion, the fatty bit on top was the best tasting part of the whole chop. No complaints from our four guests, and all considered it nothing near "gamey" tasting.

The pairing rack from the other side is in the freezer, but trimmed down to just the backstrap bit and bones with no fat (so the fat doesn't go off and spoil it). I will season that one a lot more with herbs and spice, and probably butter baste it. That will be an interesting comparison.

Only salt and pepper, seared off, fat side down to start. Once browned up, into a 400 degree oven to come up to temp, fat side up to baste the meat as it renders. Rested for about 20 minutes afterwards.

It came out superb, 130 degrees in the middle after resting, and fed six people - two of whom had never had white-tailed deer. Served family style on the cutting board. I could have easily seared off each deer lollipop for that extra nice crust, but I don't mind showing the colour.

In my opinion, the fatty bit on top was the best tasting part of the whole chop. No complaints from our four guests, and all considered it nothing near "gamey" tasting.

The pairing rack from the other side is in the freezer, but trimmed down to just the backstrap bit and bones with no fat (so the fat doesn't go off and spoil it). I will season that one a lot more with herbs and spice, and probably butter baste it. That will be an interesting comparison.

Looks awesome...I think I'll try the fat again on a young WT, though I don't think I'd try it from some rutted up muley...thanks for sharing your findings with us..

Spectacular!!

Actually have my mouth watering!

Well Done Indeed!

Cheers!

Guess he got to Know me

So, this morning I get a call...

Whatcha doing today?

Vet run for the older Gal.

Anything pressing?

Nope, check up and nail trim.

Well I just got back into town with a moose that has been hanging 18 days. I need you now if you can accommodate.

Give me 5... Vet confirms tomorrow is no issue.

On my way.

Get there to see the world's smallest Tri-Palm!

CO confirmed it met that requirement, and also did so with the 2 points on the other side!

Has to be the Unicorn of all Unicorns!

18 months old I believe, and butter soft. Took me all of three hours to butcher it (with help after I do the main cuts obviously).
    Buddy said the fastest and best job of whacking one up he has ever seen.
    Better be, only been at it for 45 years and change!!

Tonight we will feast on veal back-straps!!

Yummy!

Cheers,
    Nog

Guess he got to Know me

Just finished butchering a 1300 lb steer (grain fed since August).
    Getting better at it, only took 5 hours & change, although the lads are still grinding & wrapping.
    Tenderloin of course...
    Cheers

Guess he got to Know me