Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hunting Day/Overnight Pack that break neither Bank now Back

Hunting Day/Overnight Pack that break neither Bank now Back

Any recommendations for a decent "unicorn" hunting backpack that can be used as day/overnight pack, allows packing out a quartered deer and doesn't break the bank? I love the Exo Mountain stuff but darn those bags are costly. Anyone tried Cabelas or similar backpacks?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hunting Day/Overnight Pack that break neither Bank now Back

Absolutely love my Mystery Ranch Metcalf. Not sure if that fits your budget. While I haven't hauled any meat with it yet I have loaded it up with 40+ pounds. The weight is very well distributed.

Something to consider.....if you spend good money now it may be the last pack you'll buy.

+1 for the mystery ranch. I bought the Marshall, because I end up packing stuff for the wife or kids. Don't cheap out on a bag. Especially if u plan on using it quite a bit.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

For years I have used a waterproof canoe pack (Cdn Tire) and (available on line elsewhere) quite large but roles up to size needed. I keep several cheap shopping bags with different type of stuff in them ... all fit into the waterproof pack. The bags actually act as "compartments". I have had expensive packs but this beats them all (my opinion).
    https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/w...-0765400p.html

Mystery ranch!!!!

I love my MR METCALF

good for a day pack or a week long pack

For a deer anything will do if your on a budget, heck my wife carried out a 85 lb military ruff sack 2km uphill to get our elk out, Costco sold a north face hiking pack for $130 last year that would do just fine, I ended up buying the alps traverse x and am happy so far, hold all the gear nice and seems like it would haul meat well but haven’t had the opportunity yet

http://www.alpsoutdoorz.com/products/extreme/traverse-x

Hunting pack that won’t break the bank. Look at the LL Bean Carry All pack (about $100 delivered). It’s a basic frame with load panel and straps. I used it for years with a small day pack strapped in it with the hunting gear. It’s packed out multiple elk in the years I used it. For an overnight I would use a mid to large dry bag with gear in it strapped into the pack.
    Ive graduated into a Kifaru EMR2 now (it broke the bank) so the carry all is used as a spare pack or the one I throw into the work truck.

Keep an eye on the for sale section here. Some great deals can be had. I would hold out and find a decent used pack.

Why not start with something like a Cabela's pack frame? They are not expensive and if you ever upgrade you can always sell it used to someone else.
    Whether you are hunting just for the day or overnighting it you could just throw your gear into a 30L dry bag and strap that to the frame.

its no MR, Exo or SG pack, but lots of guys use them and they DO work.

I think this one is $120 currently.