Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skinning and Quartering Question...

Skinning and Quartering Question...

I was always under the impression you should skin before you quarter, even in the field to avoid contamination (and yes, the difficulty of "avoiding contamination" when in the field is not lost on me), and I never gave this much thought until I recently read some posts where people appear to "quarter first", pack out and skin later.

Any thoughts on this? Any difference between deer and say black bear?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Skinning and Quartering Question...

If the temps allow it I leave the hide on till just before I butcher. This goes for packing out whole or 1/4ers

Leaving the hide on keeps dirt off the meat and prevents the dried out layer from forming so there is less waste. Deboning or if it’s too warm I skin it and pack it in game bags. It’s the second best option in my opinion. I am very picky about my meat and done right you don’t get the gamy flavour some complain of

Hmmm so what's the process then, cutting skin around the joints knife-edge-up and then carefully working/sawing down I assume before packing? And no game bag when hide on?

Kinda but it depends on the size of the animal and time frame. I actually use a hatchet and a hammer more often then a saw so I get less bone chips. At times if it’s a bear or deer I just half it with a knife if it’s too heavy. Really I have multiple ways I do thing but in the end I try to keep it clean and get it out before dark or as fast as possible.

Been in on enough kills with different hunters seeing so many tricks I just improvise with the conditions and what I have available to get it done

If it gets too far from the road just debone it

In the end don’t over think it keep it clean and get it out it’s that simple really

I'm a fan of hide off asap to cool the meat but that's just what works for me. Never tried leaving it on even in cold temps. Good idea that it does keep the meat clean. I usually quarter bone in hide off and straight into game bags. Once back at the truck it's either into the cooler or up a tree depending on the temps.

Hide off as soon as possible to Cool the Meat - Game Bags keep it clean

If I didn't skin my bear before the stupidly steep hike out this year, I would have been carrying another 50lb of fat on the hide out with me...... Actually that make no sense, as I wanted the hide, so I needed to skin it before quartering it. Anyways if I did quarter it with the hide on it would have all that fat underneath. You can only use so much bear fat.

I’ve always cut at the 3rd rib on quartering the larger game from the hinds... seems a lot practice this , does make it a little easier ... they can get heavy the fronts.. the hide stays on... but havin said that after lookin at the “‘Tex moose hunt” the end result looks awesome !!

Quote Originally Posted by skibum View Post
    Hide off as soon as possible to Cool the Meat - Game Bags keep it clean

If I didn't skin my bear before the stupidly steep hike out this year, I would have been carrying another 50lb of fat on the hide out with me...... Actually that make no sense, as I wanted the hide, so I needed to skin it before quartering it. Anyways if I did quarter it with the hide on it would have all that fat underneath. You can only use so much bear fat.
    Haha are you sure? You are not doing it "Meat Eater" style and drink that stuff like coffee?

It was actually a butcher that got me to start leaving the hide on in colder temps. Just like everyone else I was taught to skin ASAP and did so for years till he showed me this.

After seeing the quality difference I changed

Myself & a buddy were newbs to moose hunting, mentored by a 3rd individual with a ton of experience. I wasn't there for the entire quartering procedure at the kill site as I went back to camp to get my pickup so we could get it back in one trip. Anyhow, Rick opened him up & cut the breast bone with a friggin chainsaw. It was dark by the time I got back to them & bullwinkle was quartered but not skinned because we decided to drag the quarters to the truck with the quads rather than lift them on the quads. Back at camp we hung the quarters & worked 'til 2 am skinning them. Covered for the night to keep the magpies & whiskey jacks off & decided to make a trip to the butcher next day since we had another week to hunt & didn't think hanging that long in warmer temp was a good idea.