Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Someone Else's Bullet in Your Game

Re: Someone Else's Bullet in Your Game

found 4 different sizes of shot in one goose...

2 times on elk.

One had 2 .30cal bullets of an unknown brand in it from at least one season prior. One on the shoulder blade and one up against a rib on the same side, they were completely encased in tissue and the bull showed no signs of injury.

and another young bull with a perfectly mushroomed .338 cal Barnes X up against the shoulder blade, it broke a partial hole in the bone but did not penetrate beyond that point. this time the wound was clearly only a few weeks old but amazingly the animal still showed no signs of a prior injury.

Elk are tough critters

My very first deer (2pt blacktail) that I shot when I was 12 years old was standing on a bluff just above the road about 30 yards away. The deer was facing straight on so I went for a neck shot being such close range. One shot dropped him in his tracks. Dad and I walked up to him and Dad says "You shot his leg off?" Umm no... there's the hole in his neck, we looked a little closer, one front leg gone below the knee the wound had completely healed up around his shoulder with the leg bone sticking out to the knee and completely bleached white. other than that he looked healthy. I shot him in Mid-November, we figured someone had winged him in early September.

Jesus that would make for a shitty 6 weeks .... amazing the pain they can tolerate.

A few years back, I harvested a really decent black bear out in the middle of nowhere. I butchered it myself, and made hams out of the rear quarters. Well, we invited some family over to try the bear ham, and as I'm slicing it at the dinner table, my knife hits something inside the meat and makes a "clink" sound. I managed to dig out a bullet and couldn't believe this bear didn't limp, or have a scar. What really blew me away, was that another hunter had shot this bear before me - I mean he was miles from any roads or civilization! Family still talks about the "ham" story every time we have ham.

Quote Originally Posted by sawmill View Post
    One big black bear with a facefull of birdshot and a busted out canine and a whitie 5x5 with a bullet furrow on it`s ass and a shot off G3, looked like a failed Texas heartshot.
    Texas Heart shot last time I head that was from old All in Creston

while gutting my son's elk this yr, we discovered the top of the lungs were grown into scar tissue that went from the ribs on one side along the spine over to the opposite ribs. We found 5" of crossbow bolt in the scar tissue and another 2-3" embedded alone the spine not in scar tissue. If the shot was 2" higher or lower it probably would have parralized him or got enough lung to kill him.

Enjoying this thread. Some cool pics too

guest Guest

Years ago 3-17 was so lucky to take a 2 pt. MD 1 1/2 hours after arriving in our spot for a 4 day hunt. Buck down and skinned its 9 am opening day. At 1:45 Im so fortunate to drop a nice 4 or so yr old Bull moose. What a day. Went home on day 2 of our 4 day hunt.....20 degrees plus mid day.
    I shoot a lot of .308 win...... While home butchering Bullwinkle.....a .22 cal bullet is found in a front shoulder in the meat along the blade bone. No infection at all.
    What kind of idiot shoots at a Bull Moose and shoulder area with what looked like a L or LRifle bullet.
    The things some people do.
    CT

There is a real problem with a certain segment of our society using .22 for the hunting of big game. We need to let the Politicians know that the CO's should be able to enforce this regardless of race.