Thread: Tipi tent and condensation above treeline

Tipi tent and condensation above treeline

Starting to plan our sheep trip for this coming year... I have a seekoutside red cliff that I’ve been debating using but know the tipi tends to have a lot of condensation and it’s a little tuffer to burn off when there’s no fuel... anyone used teepee’s above treeline how have you dealt with condensation??

Thanks!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Tipi tent and condensation above treeline

Pack a couple of small sponges. Works great and light.

I have a friend that just made his own tipi tent out of sewn together tarps. I asked him about condensation. He replied that was a concern he had and he bought a "candle lantern" from atmosphere. He said come morning there was zero condensation. I don't know how long one would burn for?

I suggest listening to the gritty bowman podcast #232

Lots of good info

https://seekoutside.com/blog/5-ways-...outside-tents/

I would say good airflow is probably most important.

I’ve run nothing but tipi or mids for the last 5 seasons now. Yes under certain conditions you will get condensation. The sponge trick works really well. Pitch it up off the ground and leave the door open some to promote airflow and it’ll rarely be an issue.

I think what most people don’t seem to discuss is you still get condensation in a two walk shelter the condensation happens on the inside of the rainfly and you have a second piece of fabric or mesh between you and the fly. If you size your tipi so you’re not smashed against the wall or rub all over it you really don’t have an issue. The only time the single wall can suck a little is if it’s raining hard or you have condensation and the tent is shaking. Then you may get a little spray inside. I’ve never found it to be a big deal, especially compared to the weight savings and pitching options.