Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Run in with a wrong CO

Re: Run in with a wrong CO

Don’t expect CO’s to know everything and same goes for cops

Some are great and very knowledgeable well others know enough to get by. Personally have had nothing but good run ins with CO’s but always here the odd case of poor info. Cops with firearms can be interesting at times and some don’t know transportation laws. Want to see a BC cop get confused hand him a muzzleloader and ask him for the definition of it being loaded lol

In the end be 100% you know the regs/laws and carrying a copy of them can save long conversations or a drive to cell service to google it lol

My father and I ran into 2 of the most outstanding co's I've ever met on our way out of gang ranch in June, not too far above the main ranch.

I had actually olanned on emailing their supervisor to say so.

They didntheor jobs, checked our licences, guns.. nearly shit themselves at the sight of my xcr-l topped with the atn day/night scope.... asked if it was restricted or not and took my word for it, then warned us about driving our trucks in town as the cops have a hard on for tires sticking out and lack of mudflaps.

They were very friendly while doing their job professionally.

I dont get to say that enough about humans humans these days.

Someone else already said it. Carry a copy of the synopsis in your truck. I also carry a copy of the firearms transport rules after a similar issue with a cop.

If you are confident the officer is incorrect, Be polite and ask the officer if you can refer to the synopsis for clarification.

I'm surprised he didn't ask what you were hunting for, I would assume you had another game tag to be hunting, no need to be in region 8 with a clipped mulie tag with guns, if he asked what you were hunting for then shouldn't have been a problem

A few years back I returned from the Muskwa river area after a successful stone sheep hunt. I only had one day before heading out of town back to work to get my stone ram CI'd and pinned. This was back when CO's did the CI's and I had a CO (not mentioning names) compulsory inspect my ram. He did the paperwork and when it came time to pin the horns he was digging around all over the work bench desk and couldn't find the drill? He then throws his hands in the air and says "well, I guess we don't do that anymore"!! I look at him and shrug and say ok. Off I go with my ram to the taxidermist. A few days later I get a voicemail where I'm working out of town and it's Doug Jury the regional Biologist and he asks me to call him back. I do and he says can you bring your stone ram back as it never got pinned. I told him I'm working out of town and there is no way I can do that. He asks me where the ram is and I tell him and he said he would drive to the taxidermist and drill and pin the ram. I told him what the CO told me and he was speechless. Anyway, I guess my point is they should know the important stuff> Ramshot

I have been hunting for 55 years and have been checked by CO's many times. Only once did I have a problem because even though I had cut my tag there was still a small part in it that was not removed. This was a student working part time on a weekend. All my other interactions have always been professionally handled. As with any body that has a thankles but important job, the outcome usually results on your input.

The issue is the new bag limit rules for region 3 and the combined mule deer limit looking at the different regions. Not all COs really know all the details. The wording is complicated enough to confuse a few people.
    CO's do not only deal with hunters. The job includes much more. However, there are those with attitude and those that want to do the right thing and help. I am mostly hunting region 2 & 3 and the majority of COs have been respectful to me and done their duty without attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Don’t expect CO’s to know everything and same goes for cops

Some are great and very knowledgeable well others know enough to get by. Personally have had nothing but good run ins with CO’s but always here the odd case of poor info. Cops with firearms can be interesting at times and some don’t know transportation laws. Want to see a BC cop get confused hand him a muzzleloader and ask him for the definition of it being loaded lol

In the end be 100% you know the regs/laws and carrying a copy of them can save long conversations or a drive to cell service to google it lol
    I m expecting co..s know hunting laws..if they are forcing it.or at least to find out right answer..

Like RCMP these days and none I have dealt with in the last 20 years have been normal one was really great but am sure he was on some kind of anti depression drug. I think as if you have lots of game in the cooler they just think you are cheating . most shots are in the top of the neck as easy head off and they are looking for holes in the 1/4s . I joked one time as they try covering there eyes as the lights are too bright

Quote Originally Posted by finngun View Post
    I m expecting co..s know hunting laws..if they are forcing it.or at least to find out right answer..
    They should know be for they act and so should cops but reality is they don’t always know all the laws/regs. Majority are good but there is the odd one who is off just like any field

So be smart and cover yourself. I have actually messed with cops/CO’s at my old business testing them and what I find is they know majority of the laws/regs not all. The smart ones just look things up before they speak or act on something and that is all we can hope for

No one knows everything and when it comes to CO’s remember it is more then hunting regs they have to remember. Start talking trapping laws with a CO and most cannot come even close to remembering all the laws

Between environmental, hunting, trapping, and wildlife conflict laws/regs no CO is going to retain everything in his head but if he does his due diligence to be sure of a law in ? before making a statement or action on it that is what matters