Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Run in with a wrong CO

Angry Run in with a wrong CO

Anybody else here have a CO give you bad/wrong information?

I was just pulling into a lake in region 8, CO pulls in quick to box me in. Checks my guns, all good - checks my tags and sees that I've already got a mule deer. He asks where I got it, told him up by Big White. He sees that I have another mule deer tag and proceeds to tell me I'm done for the season as provincial mule buck limit is 1. I told him I have a place near Princeton and have the tag in case I see one in region 2. He firmly says to me "no, 1 mule deer buck PROVINCIALLY." I asked why they would sell me another tag then and he says "thanks for donating to the fish and wildlife". He then starts talking about Haida Gwaii limits...in my head I'm thinking "I don't care about Haida Gwaii". He starts copping attitude but I decided not to argue with him. He goes on his way.

The following week I drove down to the local CO office to double check with another officer. Sure enough, he tells me I'm right and that he will chat with that officer.

You would think these guys should know their regs inside and out...frustrating!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Run in with a wrong CO

There is absolutely zero requirement for these people to have any interest in hunting. Hell two of the local COs I have spoke to around Kamloops don't even hunt and never have... Wouldn't expect them to bother keeping up with the seasonal changes in depth... They will just keep bugging people based on their outdated knowledge they learned in school 20-30 years ago. Frustrating at best.

I had one argue with me about magazine capacity who ended up being wrong when he spoke to a superior, after he was wrong he spent 15-20 minutes trying to find another infraction, and I mean looking hard so he didn't look foolish and could still get me for something, which he found nothing and was visibly and audibly not happy.

That's one of the problems I've run into a couple of times. Some CO's don't really know as much as they think they do. It's best to know all the rules that apply to what you are doing and carry the regs and firearm laws in your truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter gatherer View Post
    That's one of the problems I've run into a couple of times. Some CO's don't really know as much as they think they do. It's best to know all the rules that apply to what you are doing and carry the regs and firearm laws in your truck.
    Yet those specific COs seem to be the ones puffing their chest the most...

There’s definitely some good ones but in recent years I’ve noticed a change in how they act. With some of these newer age ones your considered guilty of something until they prove otherwise and they definitely make you feel like your guilty of something.
    for the first time in a while I ran into a nice young guy up on the Alaskan highway near muncho. He was thorough but nice and respectful and we had a good chat for about 15 minutes. Some of the other younger guys near the coast here not so much.
    I do however think they should know the laws they are enforcing inside and out when it comes to tags and guns before they spout off nonsense.
    WSSBC Life Member
    WSSBC Monarch Member
    CCFR Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brew View Post
    There’s definitely some good ones but in recent years I’ve noticed a change in how they act. With some of these newer age ones your considered guilty of something until they prove otherwise and they definitely make you feel like your guilty of something.
    for the first time in a while I ran into a nice young guy up on the Alaskan highway near muncho. He was thorough but nice and respectful and we had a good chat for about 15 minutes. Some of the other younger guys near the coast here not so much.
    I do however think they should know the laws they are enforcing inside and out when it comes to tags and guns before they spout off nonsense.
    I had a similar encounter up there. Great chat and he seemed very knowledgeable.
    I'm sure the wolves are not in the area to howl Kumbaya at the moon and eat granola. "Ourea"

I always carry a synopsis in my hunting pack for this reason.

A few years back hunting outside squamish, we had a couple tell us there was no hunting in our area as we unloaded the quads/unpacked.

I politely told her yes it's open and legal, and suggested I will show her in the regs so she could see for herself. She scoffed and me and went on walking her yappy gerbil sized dog....

We had a couple of COs drop in to our camp up on the Swift river,good guys.After they checked us out we had a good chat and they shared information on the moose rut.Course,they were both hunters..

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

My daughters boyfriend and I ran into a CO last year up near Bonaparte Lake and surprisingly was a hell of a nice guy, friendly, very casual, did his job but didn't make us feel like criminals, put the whole meeting with a CO on another level, even offered some advice on where to hunt in the area.
    Most are very officious and do treat you like you just have done something wrong from my experience.

There are two classes of bag limits, Provincial and Regional, neither of these bag limits can be exceeded.

1) The Provincial bag limit for deer is 3
    (not including Haida Gwaii/ QCI). Hunters may not harvest more than 3 deer in one licence year,
    but only 1 may be a mule (black-tailed) deer buck from Regions 3, 4, 5, 6, 7A, 7B and 8 combined.
    Hunters may harvest 3 white-tailed deer (if they purchase 3 white-tailed deer licenses), or 3 mule (black- tailed) deer (if they purchase 3 mule (black-tailed) deer licenses), or a combination of white-tailed and mule (black-tailed) deer (1+2 or 2+1) providing they do not exceed the provincial limit of 3 and
    not more than 1 mule (black-tailed) deer buck from Regions 3, 4, 5, 6 ,7A, 7B and 8 combined.

Since he had you pulled over in area 8 he thought he had himself a criminal....., as you said you think a CO would know the difference.

Last edited by Weatherby Fan; 11-01-2018 at 06:23 AM.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Quote Originally Posted by Princeton.kennedy View Post
    Anybody else here have a CO give you bad/wrong information?

I was just pulling into a lake in region 8, CO pulls in quick to box me in. Checks my guns, all good - checks my tags and sees that I've already got a mule deer. He asks where I got it, told him up by Big White. He sees that I have another mule deer tag and proceeds to tell me I'm done for the season as provincial mule buck limit is 1. I told him I have a place near Princeton and have the tag in case I see one in region 2. He firmly says to me "no, 1 mule deer buck PROVINCIALLY." I asked why they would sell me another tag then and he says "thanks for donating to the fish and wildlife". He then starts talking about Haida Gwaii limits...in my head I'm thinking "I don't care about Haida Gwaii". He starts copping attitude but I decided not to argue with him. He goes on his way.

The following week I drove down to the local CO office to double check with another officer. Sure enough, he tells me I'm right and that he will chat with that officer.

You would think these guys should know their regs inside and out...frustrating!
    You would think hunters would no the regs as well but yet always questions on here if this is legal or is that legal. many illegal animals shot every year.
    It goes both ways, need more COs out there if anything.