Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Run in with a wrong CO

Re: Run in with a wrong CO

You have to remember their training. First rule: "When you're wrong, you are right. And if there is no rule or law, you make one." So, there is little sense in arguing with a RCMP member or Conservation Officer unless you have something that they don't have. And that is paper verification that they are wrong. Understand that the argument does not end there, he/she will then argue in a roundabout fashion to say that what you said is really what they said because they can never really admit they are/were wrong.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

You shouldn't need a law degree just to go through a game check. I don't u derstand why those few bad apples feel the need to harass the law abiding citizens. For the ones who go through that, we just lose a lot of respect for their uniform and make sure we absolutely don't help them in any other way. I guess they feel it just shows their supervisor that they're out there doing their job
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

I have gotten to know a few over the years.
    Most are great.
    I wouldn't like to have their job at times.
    Most hunters are good people, but some do carry an attitude.
    Same goes for the odd CO.
    I know that there was concern with a young CO, who approached hunter with basically one hand on the hip of the sidearm.
    Not cool, and if you are that concerned, then maybe he needs to leave the job.
    But, the CO's who just come up, non confrontational, "like, hows it going"? kind of attitude, before they have to do their job, always seem to be the best at their jobs.

We just have to remember, they are in a position of authority, so best give them the respect.
    and even if they seem to not reciprocate the respect, just stay cool.

Yes, some CO's don't have all the answers, and some will do their best to help you out.
    Other times, like the OP stated, best to deal with it later, not escalate it further if possible.
    At that point, you wont win, even if you are right.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    I have gotten to know a few over the years.
    Most are great.
    I wouldn't like to have their job at times.
    Most hunters are good people, but some do carry an attitude.
    Same goes for the odd CO.
    I know that there was concern with a young CO, who approached hunter with basically one hand on the hip of the sidearm.
    Not cool, and if you are that concerned, then maybe he needs to leave the job.
    But, the CO's who just come up, non confrontational, "like, hows it going"? kind of attitude, before they have to do their job, always seem to be the best at their jobs.

We just have to remember, they are in a position of authority, so best give them the respect.
    and even if they seem to not reciprocate the respect, just stay cool.

Yes, some CO's don't have all the answers, and some will do their best to help you out.
    Other times, like the OP stated, best to deal with it later, not escalate it further if possible.
    At that point, you wont win, even if you are right.
    My sentiments (and experience) exactly. Usually you get back what you give, in terms of attitude, but there are exceptions for sure.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

That sounds frustrating. I've run into the same thing and politely debated with a CO, the thing is that they do not always know and understand the regs like we do.

As another poster noted I have found that being pleasant goes a long way to the CO being pleasant. (not saying the original poster was anything but pleasant) They are just doing their job, no sense being a dick to them. We came out a spring bear hunt in the Mackenzie district a few years ago and four CO's pulled us over. One of the older guys literally sprinted to the truck to check and see if our firearms were loaded (they were not). They all then began a very thorough review of our tags, our bears, etc. They were not unpleasant but they were VERY thorough. We stayed relaxed and we were on our way in an hour or so.

Never had a bad experience with a CO personally. Had one defuse a situation with an excited mountie once too.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

My local CO is a real dick!

Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    You have to remember their training. First rule: "When you're wrong, you are right. And if there is no rule or law, you make one." So, there is little sense in arguing with a RCMP member or Conservation Officer unless you have something that they don't have. And that is paper verification that they are wrong. Understand that the argument does not end there, he/she will then argue in a roundabout fashion to say that what you said is really what they said because they can never really admit they are/were wrong.
    Hmmm ... is my girlfriend a CO?!?

Took a moose to meat cutter in quarters and was told have to have evidence of sex on fronts. Got the CO on phone and he said they expect you to keep the moose intact but would call meat cutter and give ok.
    Must not have been a hunter or was superman.

Quote Originally Posted by trebreklaw View Post
    Took a moose to meat cutter in quarters and was told have to have evidence of sex on fronts. Got the CO on phone and he said they expect you to keep the moose intact but would call meat cutter and give ok.
    Must not have been a hunter or was superman.
    Sex on fronts????
    More than just superman, would have to expect that the moose was a hermaphrodite???