Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wood stoves for tent

Re: Wood stoves for tent

Quote Originally Posted by MOL View Post
    Bought one of these this year. Replaced a 4 burner with oven version, fire box was too small and stove was to big (on oven version).

New one is a great stove. Used the same stove in a cabin this winter on a job. Built a plywood carry box, welded up a light weight bottom stand (so I don't use the legs it comes with) and cut the pipe to length to fit into the stove for transport. Works well, can dampen it right down and crank it when need be. Have used in warmer early September, but no doubt it will keep a standard wall tent warm in -30 or colder weather. Top loader and can boil or cook on it, not the best but will work, find it can get oil splatter on the stove. GW Metal widely sold, price is right and different sizes to choose from.

I use one like that, but find it too small. Gotta reload it every 2 hours.

Going to weld up one a little bigger that will take long logs.

I have the Wilderness 4 Wood Stove. Burn time is all related to firebox size and whether or not it's air tight and controllable.

This guy will go for most of the night (6-8hrs), embers to start a new fire in the early morning. Take long logs two, stack it full of 24" pecker poles and you're set. Built well, will last my lifetime and probably my kids'.

The garbage can metal ones work, but you'll go through lots of wood and they burn out in a couple hours.

https://www.walltentshop.com/product...-camping-stove

Quote Originally Posted by Hillerbillyvan View Post
    "Big buddy" propane heater is by far the best decision I made for the wall tent
    come back to camp wet,cold,tired chop kindling build a fire with wet hard to light wood, wait an hour to warm up, go to sleep,wake up at midnight roasting/sweating then wake up 3am frozen with a dead fire lol

now I click a button and get 18,000 btu instantly, its constant consistent heat all night
    they're safe convenient easy and come in a few different sizes, can hook up to a 20-30lb tank or used with a 1lb that hides inside
    thats my 2 cents anyway. Check them out
    X 2 and just so light and easy I have the same one and many uses as after chaining up at 30 below and under the truck to warm up as cold start . now have 2 diesel stoves for sale and a heater

Have a cool wood stove small with oven in the side one of them ones that reburns the smoke gases great for late season bow in the blind ha ha two broken shoulders in the last few years bow hunting is out

Looking into something small but well sealed ... want to see what options are out there and cost.

If I want well sealed should I immediately disregard all collapsible ones?*

The "tundra" collapsible one seems pretty nifty and not made out of paper thin material, but not having much experience with stoves I'm not sure if the ability to collapse is worth the hassle if it doesnt seal up properly.

I have a buddy heater .... but I am not comfortable sleeping with it on all night. Propane is being burnt. Toxic gasses must be created .... I dont see any way around it. If someone has some literature on this that explains how it is safe I'd love to read it.

Quote Originally Posted by kootenaihunter View Post
    I have the Wilderness 4 Wood Stove. Burn time is all related to firebox size and whether or not it's air tight and controllable.

This guy will go for most of the night (6-8hrs), embers to start a new fire in the early morning. Take long logs two, stack it full of 24" pecker poles and you're set. Built well, will last my lifetime and probably my kids'.

The garbage can metal ones work, but you'll go through lots of wood and they burn out in a couple hours.

https://www.walltentshop.com/product...-camping-stove
    our hunting group also upgraded to this stove as well this year. Great product, now its just the learning how this stove likes to burn as opposed to my old one I have grown accustom to using. But nothing a few more wall tent camping trips wont fix. We noticed a huge difference in heat with this stove as well, one hunting partner said he was sleeping in his underwear on top of his sleeping bag most of the night this elk camp LOL.
    You can take the man out of the wilderness but you cant take the wilderness out of the man.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Looking into something small but well sealed ... want to see what options are out there and cost.

If I want well sealed should I immediately disregard all collapsible ones?*

The "tundra" collapsible one seems pretty nifty and not made out of paper thin material, but not having much experience with stoves I'm not sure if the ability to collapse is worth the hassle if it doesnt seal up properly.

I have a buddy heater .... but I am not comfortable sleeping with it on all night. Propane is being burnt. Toxic gasses must be created .... I dont see any way around it. If someone has some literature on this that explains how it is safe I'd love to read it.

We used a dual coil heater buddy this year in the wall tent when the fire ban was on. It works great if your close to it. Other than that all it can do is keep the cold away a bit and burn a ton of propane. No issues with toxic gasses as we made sure there was a little airflow to keep it moving. We used it in a 10x22 wall tent. Needless to say the day the fire ban came off a fire was started.
    You can take the man out of the wilderness but you cant take the wilderness out of the man.

^ 10x22 is a humungous tent to heat though ....

Small, light and airtight generally don’t go together. I use a Cylinder stove made by Davis tent. It is the second largest model they make and I have the hot water jacket with it. Not light but it keeps my 12*14 tent nice and warm. If I’m burning good wood, ie. dry larch, then I only re stoke it once a night. Not a light set up but if you are looking for comfort and the ability to dry wet heavy clothes and also have a flat cooking surface it it hard to beat.

It doesnt have to be light ... but small and air tight would be nice. Seems the camp chef alpine stove worked well for todbartell even though it had no door gasket .... but i suppose a door gasket wouldnt be too hard to add on there. Just rip one off an old oven and cut to size?
    Price sure is right.... hmmm