Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Wood stoves for tent

Re: Wood stoves for tent

Its a lot cheaper if you go direct to the guy
    he makes them himself

https://abbotsford.craigslist.ca/spo...733768676.html

The problem with tin airtights is that they require a some knowledge on how to use them. I had one in my cabin in northern BC. When I got it, I was warned about how many people got burned out using them. Don't use Sukunka coal in them. Airtights are air tight until you over heat them, then the inlet warps. It's time to replace them then. Choking them at the inlet isn't enough, you need a damper as well. I was always surprised at how easy they were to get a fire going and how they could use some pretty iffy firewood. I've used long time piled poplar successfully. If you bring along some kitty liter, floordry, to cover the bottom, it's much easier than finding sand. A heavy pair of welding gloves like you would use for air/arc allows you to stuff the stove tight without getting burnt. I've bought a stove at Otter Co-Op Langley, and after we got an explosion and an overheat when we tried burning some beetlekill swamp pine, the replacement at Northern Hardware in PG.

Quote Originally Posted by silvertipp View Post
    I've used this type of stove and found it to not seal well at all. Almost impossible to keep the fire going for any decent length of time. It's a nice stove, but the one we used didn't seal well at all. I suppose you could glue some door gasket on it?
    When looking for a stove, look for quality seals on the door as well as the air flow control. Get a damper as well.

I don't think any portable wood stove is going to offer the perfect solution. I liked the hippie killer for its weight but I think something a little beefier would be a good compromise. Over 70lbs is a bit much. I think it lacks an inside baffle to retain/reburn for more heat and I don't like to door on top of the stove

What about the RILEY stoves .

The door is definitely not sealed but I had no problem
    closeing the front dampener a bit and one load burned roughly seven to eight hrs
    kept us more than warm in a 14x16
    loaded before bed and stoked it up in the morning

The more I see the more I like the look of the knico Alaskan.

Well I just looked at the Riley website, Okas has nailed it I think. Has anyone used these.

Quote Originally Posted by okas View Post
    What about the RILEY stoves .
    I had the Colt model of the Riley stove. Wasn’t too impressed. Was fairly light but far too many gaps where you could see firelight flickering at night. Opening was too small to really fit larger pieces of wood in. It’s only redeeming feature was its weight.

Okay thanks for that. Good to know