Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wood stoves for tent

Wood stoves for tent

I'm looking to find the best wood stove for a wall tent. It's not really a light tent at 40 lbs but still somewhat packable if there is a need to. So a fairly light stove might compliment it. But it's hard to tell quality from pictures on the internet.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Wood stoves for tent

"Big buddy" propane heater is by far the best decision I made for the wall tent
    come back to camp wet,cold,tired chop kindling build a fire with wet hard to light wood, wait an hour to warm up, go to sleep,wake up at midnight roasting/sweating then wake up 3am frozen with a dead fire lol

now I click a button and get 18,000 btu instantly, its constant consistent heat all night
    they're safe convenient easy and come in a few different sizes, can hook up to a 20-30lb tank or used with a 1lb that hides inside
    thats my 2 cents anyway. Check them out

how big is your wall tent? 14x17' was heated easily with a Camp Chef Alpine stove, but it wasn't very cold (0c or so). Fairly inexpensive, less than $300, but not super light (74lbs). I am looking at a Kni-Co for my next wall tent (12x12 Eskers)
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Hillerbillyvan View Post
    "Big buddy" propane heater is by far the best decision I made for the wall tent
    come back to camp wet,cold,tired chop kindling build a fire with wet hard to light wood, wait an hour to warm up, go to sleep,wake up at midnight roasting/sweating then wake up 3am frozen with a dead fire lol

now I click a button and get 18,000 btu instantly, its constant consistent heat all night
    they're safe convenient easy and come in a few different sizes, can hook up to a 20-30lb tank or used with a 1lb that hides inside
    thats my 2 cents anyway. Check them out
    Would this not vent combustible gases into the tent? Ie. carbon monoxide?
    Regards,

Ltbullken
    Freelance Wildlife Population Manager
    Animals - If you can't eat 'em, wear 'em!

Quote Originally Posted by Ltbullken View Post
    these heaters are catalytic, not combustion, so no CO is produced.

don't be a pussy
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Catalytic heaters used in tents, normally there is a warning in the instructions to have fresh air venting.

Venting warning in Canada but not in the states
    BCWF
    CCFR

“I prefer the saddle to the streetcar and star sprinkled sky to a roof, the obscure and difficult trail, leading into the unknown, to any paved highway, and the deep peace of the wild to the discontent bred by cities…it is enough that I am surrounded by beauty.”
    - Everett Ruess

Bought one of these this year. Replaced a 4 burner with oven version, fire box was too small and stove was to big (on oven version).

New one is a great stove. Used the same stove in a cabin this winter on a job. Built a plywood carry box, welded up a light weight bottom stand (so I don't use the legs it comes with) and cut the pipe to length to fit into the stove for transport. Works well, can dampen it right down and crank it when need be. Have used in warmer early September, but no doubt it will keep a standard wall tent warm in -30 or colder weather. Top loader and can boil or cook on it, not the best but will work, find it can get oil splatter on the stove. GW Metal widely sold, price is right and different sizes to choose from.

Last edited by MOL; 11-01-2018 at 08:48 AM.

They burn completely clean and have low oxygen shutoff and tip over switch
    but i was very nervous about trying it so I bought a portable detector before sleeping with it and it always reads 0.0 all night, I do usually leave the stove vent hole open for a little air just in case