Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moose Rib Roll

Moose Rib Roll

Just home from a moose hunt with Tod Bartell and Tex. Usually when dealing with ribs I have just cut the meat out from between the bones in strips, but this time we tried a rib roll. I've never done it with a wild animal before, just with beef when cutting the ribeye off of the ribs/spine. Anyway, it's very easy to do, and you are left with a nice big flap of meat- as well as the regular connective tissue that is around the ribs/brisket area.

usually with the rib strips I just drop them in the slow cooker until they are all tender, but with this roll I wanted to try something different. So I made a brine and put the rib roll in it for about 6 hours, then rinsed it off and laid it on a board. Doesn't look all that appealing at this point!

Then seasoned it with a typical rib rub but without much salt as the brine is salty.

Then rolled it all up and trussed it like a roast

Last edited by Gateholio; 10-31-2018 at 11:22 PM.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Moose Rib Roll

I put it in a pan, added a bit of water and covered it up to slow cook for 4 hours at 300F, until everything was well broken down

Then sliced it into little rounds, topped it with a bit of BBQ sauce and tosse dit under the broiler for a bit to get a bit of a crust.

It was quite delicious, even though I just used some BBQ sauce because it was easy, but I still have most of it left and I'd love to try it out with something more interesting, like a chimichurri sauce.

It had the taste and texture of eating beef ribs, but without the bone. All the tough connective tissue was soft and just added a bit of texture, while the extra fat just melted off. i will definitely be doing this with rib rolls again.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Oh man that looks tasty. Going to have to try that out.
    WSSBC Life Member
    WSSBC Monarch Member
    CCFR Member

Where's the kraft dinner?
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Nice looking roll, some good eating in the ribs!!
    Their steaks, roasts and burger to me! Tom

That looks delicious!!

I would definitely try stuffing the rib roll, too. That could be extra awesome.

That looks great!
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

Hmmmmm..yummmm ..thanks Gate..great thread. .wonderful idea..and coming from you..delicious. ..
    Going to try that..it screams out for some wine..Worcester sauce..maybe some onion soup mix while it was cooking in the slow cook method.
    Your amazing.
    Congrads to whoever harvested the moose.
    Steven

That looks amazing!

I'm having trouble figuring out the butcher method from the photo. Unless the photo is after the meat was removed, it looks like the meat is cut down toward the belly but I thought it would be cut up toward the spine. Can you describe the method of cutting?
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?