Well, got me a nice doe this morning! Doctors in Kelowna laughed when I told them I`d be dragging a deer in October. They said maybe next year. My wife pointed out to me that for the last 17 years I have always had a deer hanging in the shed by Halloween, she said probably not this year though.I went out with an old friend who has some health issues too, I told him between the 2 of us we are damn near 3/4 of what we were. He doesn`t hunt alone anymore because he has that OCPD whatever it is.
So we were driving along,spotted a few but none that would wait for us. Then, on the long way home ….there was a gift, a big doe broadside at about 80 yards. I slipped one right behind the shoulder and she went down in her tracks.I ejected the empty and my friend says"She`s up Joe" Sure enough she`s hobbling away DOWNHILL. She went another 100 yards, I saw she was done and didn`t want to put anymore holes in her and she went down again and that was it. Except where I shot her and where she died were a long way down hill from each other. So, gut her and drag her. 60-80 feet, take a little rest, 60 more, another rest.....Got her loaded and home to the gambrel. We made it home 20 minutes before the wife came home for lunch. First thing she did was look in the garage, then I heard her laughing. "Never fails" she said "every year by Halloween!"
She`s pretty proud of me. I kinda am too.
When I opened her up the bullet had hit 4 inches above the heart, took out the trachea and both lungs. One tough deer boy.
So, let her hang for a few days, bust out the sharp knives and make some meat!
I have a video conference with my surgeon in a week, looking forward to telling him this, he`ll be tickled.
So, all in all it was a great day for me and especially my buddy Greg, we proved we still got it and we each get deer meat!

Blessed I am!