Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where do bucks go in October?

J-F is offline Thanks for generous GOS!

Question Where do bucks go in October?

It's about mule deer, but maybe applicable to whitetails too.

Every year, I think the end of October will be great, bucks get ready for the rut and will start moving more and doing foolish things resulting in an invite to the Christmas dinner! It should be easy to take advantage of the all-bucks month? And I hike and hunt for days, and see does and fawns everywhere, but no buck! Not a single one…

What I read from biologists on the web is that the bucks increase their activities during October to culminate in November, when the rut occurs.

If I look back, I have shot two muleys in October, both early (the 3rd and the 10th). After that none! Nada! Then, from November 10th or so, things get moving again, and I've been successful again later in November.

So, are the bucks just getting completely nocturnal from mid-October until the rut gets in full swing, roughly after the 1st-2nd week of November? My theory is that about all bucks hide from other bucks as the agressivity levels rise and they start clashing against each other. At some point, when the girl-deer get receptive the boy-deer move around more in the open, in November.

I'm happy to hear all comments.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Where do bucks go in October?

timber and hide from pressure...

that said heavy snow up high last night today should be best day of whole season.

Ya that snow is gonna make some things happen in the woods. Also best time to get out and track one down right now today tomorrow

This year is funny, I think that the deer are a couple weeks early in their migrations and patterns due to cool temps and even snow in sept and a crazy snow/cold snap early Oct. From what I see, they are lower down than normal for this time of year. Early Oct is a good time to drop a buck because they haven't seen the pressure yet, but once they feel it they do go into the timber. My trail cams show they are still there, I have lots of bucks on cam, nothing that I am looking to hunt yet though.

Its getting harder and harder to find spots that aren't getting pounded. Even spots that I have historically hunted almost exclusively I am catching people on foot in and quads bombing through. Its amazing how many more deer you see though if you are in the right spot and just sitting for the day...
    Last edited by Darksith; 10-31-2018 at 11:45 AM.
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

from the pictures being sent to me today...
    i would say alot went in freezers today.

This is what I have been told with MD the reason October was chosen for any buck is because this is when MD are the least predictable do to them being more scattered across there seasonal habitat. I had it explained to me as being more of a transition time some prized early season feeding areas are past prime, not enough snow to push towards winter grounds, and it’s not time to chase does. Basically they have no reason to focus on certain location and no reason to cruze around.

This is the exploitation I was given and kinda makes sense but there are those who know MD better then me

WT bucks they are cagey and often hidden away in thick location that involve little movement to meet their needs in October. Often places you cannot enter without alerting them. Some just don’t travel in the open to feed instead stick to semi open bush to feed. Some WT never leave a 5mile sq area their whole life some do migrate in elevation according to the snow. Either way WT bucks pick areas that involve minimal movement to achieve their needs before Nov.

I don’t even attempt to look for big WT bucks before Nov unless I have one patterned in his hiding spot

Ya, the first snowfall, that has some weight to it, so that it "tips over" some of the shrubs/smaller trees is always a good time to get out, as the deer take advantage of the "new feed" presented to them, when these trees are leaning over.
    Seen that earlier this year, when we got 12" of snow in one day.
    WT's everywhere, feeding.
    MD sign was al over as well.
    No surprise freezers became a lot fuller suddenly.

Can't say for sure but I figure the whitetails are in the bush getting rid of the easy one so they'll have staying power for the ladies in Nov. I typically like the last week of Nov
    That seems to be when the big ones start moving. Mule deer around home are there 365 days a year.

Best time for filling your tag is the last week of October..a little bit of weather that has them held up a night or two and sightings will go up. They are packing winter coats and a summers fat so prone to overheat..mule deer are rubbing trees this last week....
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

Quote Originally Posted by walks with deer View Post
    timber and hide from pressure...

that said heavy snow up high last night today should be best day of whole season.
    been up to my nuts in snow for a few days over the last week in the alpine, does' like crazy only dink mulies hanging with em. My conclusion, big bucks are night crawling covering insane amount of ground to see where they should be after nov.10. Good buck on a cam few days ago 03:30. Monashee mulies are not in the rut at all yet, just like every other year I've been here...
    Last edited by .264winmag; 10-31-2018 at 09:23 PM.
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..