Thread: Host question

Host question

Ok so i applied for an leh draw for my dad and he got a doe draw. He hasn't hunted in 20 years. After he informed me his f.a.c.has expired. I spoke to rcmp information officer. They said i can be a host aslong as there is only one gun between the two of us and he is three feet or less away from me, he can shoot his deer. My question now is would it be his deer tag or mine. Im thinking his but just want to confirm. I called the rcmp back but they had no idea... Anyone have experience with this???

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Host question

His tag you are only providing the rifle he shoots his doe with

K. Thx. That's what i thought

The one gun between you doesn't sound right, you should be able to bring as many guns as you want as long as they are all yours.....but yes he needs his own hunting license and tag.

Quote Originally Posted by Darris doois View Post
    They said i can be a host aslong as there is only one gun between the two of us and he is three feet or less away from me, he can shoot his deer.
    Sounds like the information officer wasn't too sure of his information. I'm too lazy to pull up the actual regulation but I'm 99% sure there is no one gun limit (I regularly take non-PAL friends shooting with 5+ guns) and I'm pretty sure they have to be within reasonable proximity, which I was told was within earshot. The rule is "direct supervision", I don't think it is defined in terms of actual distance.

I'm not surprised. A non-hunting buddy was out fishing with a buddy of his that is a cop with VPD. They had a shotgun for bear protection and his buddy told him it was OK to have the shotgun loaded in the truck as long as there was no round in the chamber!

You might want to ask another information officer, or look up the actual regulation and take it with you. I have a non-restricted .223 that looks very much like an "assault rifle" so I keep a copy of the relevant information in my truck. The only time I've ever showed it to a cop he was very polite and thanked me for taking the burden of knowing everything of of him.
    Last edited by albravo2; 10-30-2018 at 05:31 PM.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

I second the concern on the one gun issue. Although I have never seen the rule in writing, I have always been told to be within earshot or direct supervision. Never limited to just one gun.

no limit.. and earshot/site

go shoot the deer

The RCMP are a very poor choice for getting clear information about firearms law. COs are far more knowledgeable.

As others have said, his tag, your rifle. Make sure you are within sight and earshot. You can have a rifle/shotgun too.

Oh, and FACs haven’t been around for a loooong time. It’s PAL or POL now, pal. But then, you knew that