Thread: 3-13 moose in Nov... anyone been in the area lately?

3-13 moose in Nov... anyone been in the area lately?

I am heading out in a few days for my Nov. moose draw and I am hoping to not start off blind. I figured it might be worth asking if anyone has seen any bulls cruising around lately.

If you have been in the area and have any intel, please send me a PM.

thanks!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 3-13 moose in Nov... anyone been in the area lately?

Ive hunted in that mu. For 6 years and never met a moose.. ive had one cross my trail and got a cow on my cam but you gotta head way in there.

that area seems devoid of animals lately, been hitting it hard and even the does have moved off,
    fair bit of pressure in there

3-13 is a good area If you've figured out how to use the pressure to your advantage. I've got some really nice deer out of there, mulie and whitetail but it was never as simple as a drive, always a hike and a long drag.. I find this time of year the does are all sticking tight into the drainages in 3-13 mostly due to the hunters but definitely due to the increased wolf presence as well. If you're willing to get out and walk the larger cuts and valleys that you can't drive through I'd be pretty confident finding an animal.. I have never hunted moose there (no leh) but have came across enough to be confident in hunting the area if I had a tag.

I will mention all moose I've seen out there has been Oct/Nov and it's been higher than I would have suspected.

Yep high elevation with good feed and close cover to recover from the rut. Look for red willow swamps or young plantations 3-5 yrs with spruce/pine and willow mixed in. Hope for snow and find their tracks.

Ya, my plan was to get up high set camp and go from there. I have been in the area in past years and saw plenty of moose track (enough to convince myself to apply for LEH) so I know they are there... just a matter of finding one.

My game plan was to wait for snow, find a track and walk it down as I know they are not moving around too much. If I find a track, most likely he will be relatively close by.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewh View Post
    Ya, my plan was to get up high set camp and go from there. I have been in the area in past years and saw plenty of moose track (enough to convince myself to apply for LEH) so I know they are there... just a matter of finding one.

My game plan was to wait for snow, find a track and walk it down as I know they are not moving around too much. If I find a track, most likely he will be relatively close by.
    As long as you key in on the higher elevation areas, you shouldn't have too terrible of a time! It amuses me that I see dozens of posts and talk to alot of people locally that hunt 3-13 and have no luck / claim to never see even deer. I'm confident those people never leave the FSRs and all the animals know enough to avoid the roads unless it's at night , hell every morning you can go out and find plenty of fresh moose track right down the middle of the roads from the night time..