Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First Whitetail down... excessive damage or normal?

Re: First Whitetail down... excessive damage or normal?

The cartridge you use has virtually nothing to do with the amount of damage that will be done or not be done. The type of bullet sure does though. Winchester 'power shock' is basically a cheap cup and core bullet that will come apart in many pieces in a pretty violent manner. My first deer was with el cheapo Winchester power points (same thing I think). Actually my second was too. Then I started to learn more about different types of bullets and how they behave. You can most certainly reduce meat damage by choosing the type of bullet accordingly. Get out a good sharp knife trim off all the jelly and messy bits and enjoy what's in tact. As said one thing about explosive type bullets is it usually results in a quick kill. Usually.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

Quote Originally Posted by Gateholio View Post
    Close range shot with standard (soft) bullet will lead to some shrapnel and bruising. What does the recovered bullet look like ?
    A small crumpled up ball... I didnt think to inspect it too much, just tossed it in the garbage with my dirty nitrile gloves

Always better to have a deer down than to have to go look for one and perhaps not find it.

I've shot numerous deer with the Federal blue box stuff but always broadside and they were effective with good penetration and always exited. I like that round.

Given that your round didn't even reach the guts, would agree that you hit a bone & had it shatter.

I use a 150g in 30 cal moving at 2500 ft/sec and it hasn’t had a deer go more than 20 yards. If you have a choice bring a little less gun or reduced loads for close quarters. I have an old 99 in 300 savage for anything 200 yards or less and a 30-06 if I think I might need to shoot further out.

I use a 150gr bullet in a 30-06 for all my deer hunting, from 20ft to 300yds, if you handload then a premium bullet can be used to minimize the "splatter effect" of some bullets. Bullet placement is crucial to easy field dressing, cut and processing the meat etc.

Headshots for the does bro, no wasted meat ..... old HBC tip!

Just dont post pics of them after lol

Yeah I’d agree go for the head with a shotgun though. Reason being using a scoped rifle on a deer head most likely with hands trembling in excitement at 50 yards could be an easy miss. Wish i could use a rifle on does here on the island whelp. Nice job getting in early and holding the spot. Lots of guys give up if they don’t see immediate action

Head shots are risky. Seen deer with jaws blown off from attempted head shots.
    Slower bullet of heavier construction will tear up less meat. Or wait for a better angle to minimize carnage.

Quote Originally Posted by dellis View Post
    Head shots are risky. Seen deer with jaws blown off from attempted head shots.
    Slower bullet of heavier construction will tear up less meat. Or wait for a better angle to minimize carnage.

This is is true ^^^

under perfect conditions and within the shooters skill level head shots are fine but it is a smaller target that has a habit of moving

Head shots no doubt save meat but come with disadvantages. Most animals taken for meat are chest shot doing to lower risk of things going wrong

i did the exact shot but absolutely no damage, 30-06 with 180 grain. just lucky the bullet was dead centered passed right through into the body.
    Was going to shoot for the neck as he was laying down at 125 yards but he stood up and i took a very quick chest shot.
    Last edited by findlyflats; 10-30-2018 at 05:57 PM.