Thread: New Hunter Looking for Experience and Guidance

New Hunter Looking for Experience and Guidance

Hi everyone. this forum and website is great, I already gained tons of knowledge by reading through it. I have done CORE and already have my PAL, and do have a 30.06 rifle. I'm very interested in deer hunting in BC, close to lower mainland, within 3-4hr drive hopefully. Me and my brother already tried somewhere close to Harrison lake this October, around Bear Creek, but didn't find any deer (or any other animal!). We spent 2 days and walked a lot, but talking to locals, they told us that most of animals moved from that area after fire smoke this summer.

I would appreciate any help or guidance as where to go to maximize the chance of seeing some black-tail/mule deer; event better if we can tag along with someone for our second hunting trip. I totally understand that hunting trip doesn't always end with hunting the game, and totally enjoy the trip itself as well, but having some experience on how to maximize the chance of hunting the game would worth a lot for me.

Thanks in advance.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: New Hunter Looking for Experience and Guidance

If you don't find anyone I recommend getting out and exploring either solo or with your bro as much as possible, look for fresh sign, and just hunt it...it's amazing how much one can learn that way...just make sure your kitted out well, and have a map of the area and a compass and know how to use it, your confidence will grow every time your out there, wether you harvest something or not..

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    If you don't find anyone I recommend getting out and exploring either solo or with your bro as much as possible, look for fresh sign, and just hunt it...it's amazing how much one can learn that way...just make sure your kitted out well, and have a map of the area and a compass and know how to use it, your confidence will grow every time your out there, wether you harvest something or not..
    Thanks for reply, I will definitely do that if I don't find anyone. Planning on another trip second week of November for long weekend. Any area you can suggest?

I'm scarcely the best adviser on hunting, chuckle, but stop every 10 steps and look around, taking every detail. It'll certainly increase your enjoyment at being outdoors.