Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Retrieval advice

Re: Retrieval advice

NEVER TO DEAD double tap when unsure

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    "The thing is, I saw my buck cross the road, but I saw maybe a track maybe two on that side of the road and there weren't many points of entry into the bush, there, esp for a wounded deer. I have a feeling that buck travelled a distance."

a deer doesn't need a hole or point of entry

Planning on another tracking effort on your deer?
    Yeah true, but I saw no areas outside those points of entry where the brush had been pushed down the way it'd be if a buck went through it.

There's been a pretty serious storm here so I doubt even a dog would be able to pick up sign unfortunately. I'm going to UBC, but have Fridays off, so I'm thinking of going then. Might be too late for that buck, but from talking to someone who hunts the area, he thinks it sounds like a miss, so I might have a chance to either find him again fresh, or find him wounded and finish him.

Or to find a fresh one
    good luck
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

As others have said hunt long enough and you may lose one. You ask how not to have it happen again and my #1 piece of advice would be to find a shooting position other than offhand. A tree to lean on ,a stump, a knee etc.,anything to help steady your shot especially when you're looking at your first deer as the excitement level will be high. Take 5 shots at the range offhand and 5 with a rest and you'll see the difference without the excitement factor thrown in. Good luck for the rest of the season.

Now that i have been hunting for years, I wont pull the trigger on a deer unless i have a kill shot. On a spike deer, a ass shot would take most of your meat anyways.
    Kamloops cabins for rent!
    www.bclakefronts.com

Check out some amazing pictures on my Facebook of trophy fish and game:
    www.facebook.com/bclakefronts
    What about YOUTUBE, Check my video on how to make a Euro mount:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/CanadianCade

Having learnt my lesson, I'll be heading back to the same spot tomorrow. If anyone has any words of advice for Harrison blacktails around this time, I'd love to learn. I've practiced shooting more and tried to learn a bit more about retrieval too.

Just have fun....its about being outside. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by suburbboy View Post
    Having learnt my lesson, I'll be heading back to the same spot tomorrow. If anyone has any words of advice for Harrison blacktails around this time, I'd love to learn. I've practiced shooting more and tried to learn a bit more about retrieval too.
    The 308 is great gun-properly loaded it's ample for any game in NA.

LT, my regular hunting partner since '67 has been using the 308 for over 50 years with excellent results. In general 1 shot kills, even at a fair distance(was a witness to many).

I have shot a young buck from about 100 yards with my 300 Win mag. & he ran through the timber downhill for almost 100 yards before dropping in between some deadfalls.
    Took us a while to find him. The one shot blew 1/4 of his heart away.
    The buck saw us first & no doubt was full of adrenaline & ready to escape before the shot. Makes a big difference with all game!An unsuspecting animal drops right away with a proper shot.

Good luck!
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Knowing where the shot impacted is important. Liver, give it at least two hours. Intestines or stomach six to eight hours. Some good winter reading is Finding Wounded Deer by John Trout. Nothing replaces experience but reading of others experience can give you a leg up.

Give it another try to look, look up for ravens