Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Retrieval advice

Retrieval advice

Hi everyone,

I was out hunting today, shot a blacktail spiker from under 100 yards, I saw the bullet make impact towards the rear of the buck and saw the buck wince. After a moment, it walked away from where it was, stopped, and then slowly made its way into some super thick stuff (crossing a road to get there). I was sure I just needed to give it some time, and so didn't fire a second shot (cursing myself for this now). I waited for a short period of time (maybe 20 minutes) then I went to the place it was shot, walked all along the road, and into every deer trail entry-point in the section (I was watching the area the buck went into the forest). Didn't see any blood at all, in fact, I hardly saw tracks. Spent almost 4 hours trying to find this buck with no luck.

I'm super bummed out. I'm hoping the buck will live on, but not knowing is really killing me.

What am I doing wrong, what can I do about the situation at this point, and what do I need to do to have this never happen again?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Retrieval advice

It happens. Best thing you can you if you think the shot is questionable is back off and give it lots of time, I mean hours. Poorly hit game will often lie down pretty quick and stay there if they are not pushed.

Yes, I've been there and learned this the hard way too. Keep your chin up

To have this never happen again? Only one answer and its not good

You tried, gave a good follow up, and were not lucky enough to seal the deal, $#it happens

But take the good and bad points and build on it for next time.

Not all wounds leave a blood trail, so shot placement is crucial to a good kill.
    Tracking is a learned skill most hunters don't get the time to practice
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Sleep on it and give it one more try tomorrow. Mark where you shot from, where the buck was go from there. Use a grid pattern and look hard for any hint of blood. Odds are low maybe but you'll feel better for trying everything you could and not finding any blood. By what you describe you may have missed you'll learn more tomorrow.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

Been there myself. Sucks, but none of us are perfect. You could go back and check for ravens. I shoot again if I have a chance for a second shot.

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

Yup, hunt long enough it happens! Look for as long as you can, to try and find the critter. You may not have done as much damage as you think. I blasted a buck one time across his brisket. Found hair, and looked like a pretty solid hit, never retrieved! Lived that shot over and over, but it happens! Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

Don’t be scared of taking a follow up shot.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

If you hunt long enough, it will happen to you. Hunt even longer and it will happen again. Hard not to beat yourself up over it but it is what it is. I have found going in circles in ever widening archs from the last known sight point can find an animal that you can't find much blood on. Instead of looking for blood, pan the forest for the dead animal. That being said, some animals are just damn tuff. I once shot a buck at under 40 yards. Entered front of chest and took out opposite shoulder. Tracked him for several hours with good blood to start with and then barely a drop every few hundred metres. Had to give up due to darkness. Went back at first light to find a whole mess of tracks where the buck chased does and bred all night long. Hunted long and hard for. Lost plenty of sleep. Finally turned him up the last day of the season 3 1/2 weeks later when I finally was able kill him,

Welcome to the realities of hunting. It happens to everyone and it sucks. I agree to go back again and try to piece it all together when you’re not amped up and feeling pressure. Take your time and do your best. If there are any fence lines or ditches or logs that he may have needed to jump, that is a good place to find blood and possibly pick up a trail.
    It has happened to me a few times over the years, and because of it, I always take follow up shots if given the time even if I believe the first was a show stopper.
    Good luck.

What really sucks is this was my first buck, and my first solo hunt. I think I was too excited (also, I'd seen the buck twice before and not shot because of lack of proper opportunity, so the pressure was on). Also, I probably could have been quieter after the shot in the hopes of having it bed closeby. I did an initial search after 20 minutes, then took a break for maybe 40 minutes and then went back and tried to go to every spot systematically. I just don't understand how there was such little sign.

I'm sure it was a hit, but from the looks of it, may have been hind quarter.

The grid thing is what I've done for waterfowl, but today was in the thick nasty steep ridges in the northern stretches of the Harrison. Initially I was sticking to game trails, but there were points I was just hauling through thick brush, got totally soaked, cut up, and couldn't see 5 ft ahead of me. If anyone sees a crippled buck while hunting up a dozen kms before the washed out bridge on West Harrison, let me know

I saw one raven and was hoping it'd lead me to the kill, but it kept flying across the lake.

Definitely going to practice freehand shots more at the range, and going to take follow up shots as a rule. And probably also silently wait longer after the shot.