Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone recommend a butcher in Vernon?

Anyone recommend a butcher in Vernon?

Hi everyone.
    New to the forum and new to hunting in general. I'm planning to head up to Vernon to stay with some friends in the next few weeks. Going to head out a few days and look for some deer and grouse while we're there. I was hoping someone could suggest a good butcher to take our deer to if we get lucky enough to harvest one. Thanks in advance!!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Anyone recommend a butcher in Vernon?

Steeleco keeps a list
    maybe includes Valley Wide Meats, RT Ranch
    Helmets Kitchen and Ritters for sausage making

not many ads in The Regs anymore, rules changed
    Last edited by boxhitch; 10-27-2018 at 12:58 PM.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Ritters shut down several years ago. His Jeep parked there but business is closed afaik. Helmut's will only process deboned animals.

Years? i gotta get around more )

There is Rory in cherryville, there is sundowners here in lumby. Helmuts in Vernon, but like said before needs to be deboned. I have had some good sausages from sedos in salmon arm. There is also a good place in Kelowna but can’t remember the name off the top of my head.

Awesome, thanks for the replies. Like I said before I am new to hunting so I am fairly confident with the help of YouTube and MeatEater videos I can gut and quarter but I feel like I may waste a lot of meat trying to debone. I can give it a shot tho, how long does it usually take before you can pick up your meat on average?

Carving your own is pretty easy.
    Don't look for the cuts like would be found at the butcher, just cut away the chunks from the bones.
    All the small bits will be for stew or burger, the larger chunks can be left as roasts or sliced into steaks or cutlets
    Once you get into it you will find a lot of silver sinew or layers between the muscles, this is best trimmed away as garbage.
    What is left will be clean red meat in a lot of small chunks , depending how critical you are the burger pile may be bigger than the steak pile

Quote Originally Posted by Buddamonk View Post
    Awesome, thanks for the replies. Like I said before I am new to hunting so I am fairly confident with the help of YouTube and MeatEater videos I can gut and quarter but I feel like I may waste a lot of meat trying to debone. I can give it a shot tho, how long does it usually take before you can pick up your meat on average?
    Depends on how busy they are, could be a week or more. I butcher my own deer it’s easier than you think

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    Years? i gotta get around more )
    Yep, close to 2 years now I reckon. His refrigeration unit packed it in, or so he said when I talked to him last. Best Zwiebelwurst anywhere, Helmut's doesn't come close, too wet & greasy. I keep checking whenever I drive by, hoping....

I took my last deer at the start of Oct to Grillers Meats. Pretty happy with how they managed it. This time of year best to call around and see if they have space ... Sundowner in Lumby only takes boned out meat. RT in Cherryville is good as well, we have used him lots as well.