Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Binos or Spotting Scope

Re: Binos or Spotting Scope

If more hunters had spotting scopes for counting tines , there would be less 'catch and release' of illegal kills.

and for range use, a $150 20-60x Simmons or equivalent will show up the holes though the pic may not be perfect.

The need for High end optics is overrated for 95+% of usage. Use what you have until they prove out needs
    Last edited by boxhitch; 10-27-2018 at 02:53 AM.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan f. View Post
    Good binos with a tripod is a deadly combo
    I'll put a big ole LIKE on this post and second what Jordan said

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Thanks to all of you that replied to my questions. You make good points regarding the binos . I presently do not hunt for sheep or goats so I guess I really don't need a spotter. I don't handload but find it frustrating when at the range sighting in to find out where my bullets are hitting without high power magnification thus the idea of a spotting scope .
    Arctic Lake
    I use a cheap Tasco spotter for the range. Works great to see where you are at 200 yrds and I think I spent < $200.

From the replies I received to this thread it seemed that a good pair of binoculars should be purchased first then a spotter .
    Well I have an update. Thanks to Weatherby Fan I purchased a great pair of Meopta Meopro 8x42 HD binos from him . WOW ! They are great ! Everything looks so much better through these than the 7x22 Minoltas . Yes the Meoptas are heavier and larger but what a difference . Now hope to get a chance to see some deer through them before the season ends !
    Thanks again Fellas !
    Arctic Lake

Be sure to get a bino harness as well as a tripod

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    If more hunters had spotting scopes for counting tines , there would be less 'catch and release' of illegal kills.

and for range use, a $150 20-60x Simmons or equivalent will show up the holes though the pic may not be perfect.

The need for High end optics is overrated for 95+% of usage. Use what you have until they prove out needs
    BS .... most illegal kills are probably people bumping deer and shooting before they even have a chance to count tines. Not glassing them with binos and not being able to see properly.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    You carry all 3 on you in the field? Those 15x56 alone must weigh as much as the spotter!

And x2 .... definitely go for good binoculars first. And honestly, I wouldnt waste my time waiting for a used pair
    Of premium ones to pop up. Every time they do people want damn near what they cost new.
    Plenty of quality used optics for a good price available if a guy looks around..
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."

10x40 are by far the best to have.
    I bought a pair of Leica on eBay. Fraction of new cost and I love them!!

Quote Originally Posted by leftfield View Post
    Be sure to get a bino harness as well as a tripod
    Looking into a tripod adapter that is quick detach also tripod .I see a tripod adapter from Outdoorsmen in the USA gets good reviews. Have not looked into a bino harness yet. Any recommendations would be appreciated !
    Thanks
    Arctic Lake

There are many harnesses to chose from and I couldn’t recommend one over the other but I would be looking for one the keeps your bino’s clean and dry when your out in the elements