Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Binos or Spotting Scope

Re: Binos or Spotting Scope

Good binos with a tripod is a deadly combo

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Okay I have small lightweight binoculars Minolta 7x22 . Would you purchase a bigger pair of binoculars meaning higher power and bigger objective lens with tripod if so what make and model ?

Or would you purchase a spotting scope which would be great for the range also . What make and model ?

P.S. I'm not wealthy !
    Thanks !
    Arctic Lake
    If your completely happy with your 7x22 Minolta binos for the hunting you do, then yes buy a spotting scope .........

I'm going to suggest your falling short with your current binoculars, this is what I would do, buy a decent set of 8x42 or 10x42 Binoculars that will last you a lifetime, buy once cry once, the thing is now a days there are extremely good binoculars that are not that expensive, optics have come a long ways, go to Cabelas and look through lots of 8 and 10 power binoculars and see which ones appeal to your eye and pocket book.

then down the road buy a decent spotting scope and you will have things covered.
    Last edited by Weatherby Fan; 10-26-2018 at 08:50 AM.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Make sure your binos can be attached to a tripod. Even 8x in a tripod is awesome. 10xon a tripod are a game changer, especially for those huge clear cuts. I prefer 8 though for Timber.

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    You carry all 3 on you in the field? Those 15x56 alone must weigh as much as the spotter!

And x2 .... definitely go for good binoculars first. And honestly, I wouldnt waste my time waiting for a used pair
    Of premium ones to pop up. Every time they do people want damn near what they cost new.
    I got to have a look through Brew's 15X binoculars at one of the Spences Bridge Sheep Counts and wow is all I can say, amazing glass.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Thanks to all of you that replied to my questions. You make good points regarding the binos . I presently do not hunt for sheep or goats so I guess I really don't need a spotter. I don't handload but find it frustrating when at the range sighting in to find out where my bullets are hitting without high power magnification thus the idea of a spotting scope .
    Arctic Lake

Good binoculars are where it’s at if you can only afford one or the other, IMHO.

Over the years tried a lot of stuff now 8x32 swaro. for walking . 15x56 swaro. for atv and yup swaro angled spotting scope as dealing with a old broken neck .

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Thanks to all of you that replied to my questions. You make good points regarding the binos . I presently do not hunt for sheep or goats so I guess I really don't need a spotter. I don't handload but find it frustrating when at the range sighting in to find out where my bullets are hitting without high power magnification thus the idea of a spotting scope .
    Arctic Lake
    I don't have the best quality spotting scope but one thing I did for it is made one of those phone scope adapters. Used a hole saw on an old cell phone case where the camera lens is, then glued on a piece of pvc that fit the eye piece of the spotting scope. Now I can see 7mm holes on paper at 500 yards like its right in front of you, and more than one person can look at them same time. I imagine you could do the same with a good pair of binos and it would increase you zoom capabilities at the range

Quote Originally Posted by scttlp86 View Post
    I don't have the best quality spotting scope but one thing I did for it is made one of those phone scope adapters. Used a hole saw on an old cell phone case where the camera lens is, then glued on a piece of pvc that fit the eye piece of the spotting scope. Now I can see 7mm holes on paper at 500 yards like its right in front of you, and more than one person can look at them same time. I imagine you could do the same with a good pair of binos and it would increase you zoom capabilities at the range
    Genius! That saves alot of money

UM me thinking just threw out a nikkor lens I could have used it as adaptor on my camera body digital zoom ….maybe