Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Binos or Spotting Scope

Re: Binos or Spotting Scope

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Do you fellas pack a full size spotter on hike in trips or a compact spotter . i think most compact spotters come with a 50mm objective lens . Thinking that would not be that great for low light ?
    Arctic Lake
    Just asking again
    Arctic Lake

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Just asking again
    Arctic Lake
    Its best to get an angled spotter with a 65mm objective lens, ie Vortex Razor 16-48x65 or the new version is 22-48x65, I use a Leica 25-50x65, its the best compromise for size and weight and still having sufficient power, if your just using it at the range Im sure a 50mm objective would be fine but I had one and found it lacked in the field.

The angled is better for using adaptive picture taking equipment like with a phone scope and your cel, also easier for using with a window mount and in steep terrain.
    Last edited by Weatherby Fan; 09-23-2019 at 08:24 AM.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Anyone purchase from OpticsPlanet.ca ? Also think Cameraland was mentioned ?
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

I'm not sure but I don't think there is really a Canadian division of Optics Planet. If you click on anything it takes you to their U.S. site and you end up ordering through from the States, in their dollar anyway. I have used them to get some binos for the truck and they were fine. Others seem to have had good luck too. http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...-optics-planet

I just noticed they have a pretty wicked deal on a Pentax 60mm spotter (31%off). 65mm spotter with ED glass and a 20-60X zoom for $649 U.S. The Pentax spotters are worth looking at. Its another spotter that reportedly functions well above it's price point. One reason being, they use astronomical eyepieces. With free shipping and a 100% satisfaction guarantee it is something that may be worth looking at.

I have never ordered from Cameralandny but they have a very good reputation
    Last edited by Elkaddict; 09-27-2019 at 09:53 AM.

Thanks Elk Addict !
    Quote Originally Posted by Elkaddict View Post
    I'm not sure but I don't think there is really a Canadian division of Optics Planet. If you click on anything it takes you to their U.S. site and you end up ordering through from the States, in their dollar anyway. I have used them to get some binos for the truck and they were fine. Others seem to have had good luck too. http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...-optics-planet

I just noticed they have a pretty wicked deal on a Pentax 60mm spotter (31%off). 65mm spotter with ED glass and a 20-60X zoom for $649 U.S. The Pentax spotters are worth looking at. Its another spotter that reportedly functions well above it's price point. One reason being, they use astronomical eyepieces. With free shipping and a 100% satisfaction guarantee it is something that may be worth looking at.

I have never ordered from Cameralandny but they have a very good reputation

As you all know I do quite a bit of research on items I'm considering to purchase . LOL And all of you are great at answering my many question on those said items ,so I Thank You ! From Rifles to Daypacks to Optics etc. etc. You all should get the Noble Peace Prize for patience. LOL I'm awaiting a recent purchase of a spotting scope and will let you know how it works out once it's here
    Thanks !
    Arctic Lake

My first binos were the Steiner Predator 8x30 . i think i paid around 350 for them there were a really good little set for first time hunting . well worth the money , then of course i moved up to 10 x 42 SW. first generation i think i paid 1700 for them , then i got the 10x 42 EL . The world opened up . you get what you pay for . thats the reality of it . I use the butler creek bino harness as well as the the factory SW Harness best of both worlds .
    " Never tell me the Odds "

The Pentax PF65 ED 11 spotter arrived 20x - 60x eyepiece 65 objective lens . Compact , has rubber coating for protection . It seems pretty clear but I have not done a side by side comparison with any others . One focus knob which is not too light nor heavy to turn . Has sunshade and moveable eye relief ring . Thanks to Elkaddict for alerting me to a sale on this scope from Optics Planet
    Arctic Lake
    Last edited by Arctic Lake; 11-03-2019 at 02:10 PM.

Enjoy! Sounds like a good choice.

On our last hunt I came to a realization. I know Vortex isn't the best optical quality but for binos or a spotter I will buy Vortex from here on out. Anything that gets stuffed into a backpack, or the console of my truck, or sits in the back of the Rhino is going to get scratched up. I can baby my riflescopes and keep the mud and debris from ever touching the glass but my binos in particular have a tough life. My Viper HD are getting pretty beat up, in another season I'll probably send them back to Vortex for a warranty refurbish instead of having to flog them as scratched glass then paying full pull again for another set. I used to have a nice pair of Swarovski binos and the glass was great but the constant worry was not.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Good binos then spotter.........