Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Binos or Spotting Scope

Re: Binos or Spotting Scope

So any of you guy's have Leupold spotters ? I don't hear much about them on here,I would think they would be great as they make awesome rifle scopes .
    Thanks
    Arctic Lake

The Leupold spotters are okay, certainly much better than the sub $200 spotting scopes. I read the whole thread. Some good points made. For example, if all one is doing is using the spotting scope at the range at 100 or 200 yards in bright daylight - save your money and get a Barska. If you want to spot in the shadows, in the twilight, under a tree in the shade at 1 km; these are the areas where having good glass is very beneficial.

I followed a similar path that you are on. I bought a pair of EL 8x42 range. No regrets. The debate on 8 vs 10 x is more of a preference to me.

I ended up buying a Leica Spotting scope because for my eyes it was better than the Swaro or Zeiss, but that is somewhat subjective. Again very happy. Anyway, if you can, buy the good stuff once, used or new and you will never regret it.

Oh, and Omer in Quesnell at Aroma Foods is the guy to buy your glass from. Knows his stuff and his prices are very good.

I have the Leupold 12-40x60 HD spotting scope and the BX-3 Mojave Pro Guide HD 10x42mm Binoculars.
    Binos are always being used. They are very clear and a joy every time I look through them. Useful for still hunting slowly and picking out fur/leg through the trees.
    My spotter at 40x, I don't use that often because I need good light. But when I have, it's been critical, as in confirming a buck is 4-point across a basin or finding a second bigger deer bedded in the shadows/bushes near his buddy. I like the weight for hiking and compact size of folding light path.
    Good binos on a tripod will get you most of the way there. And you don't have to always use a tripod. Sitting and grabbing hat brim works ok (poor man's tripod).
    I have Alaska Guide Creations Cub bino harness. Works great.
    Last edited by Mark-R; 09-07-2019 at 06:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wlbc View Post
    The Leupold spotters are okay, certainly much better than the sub $200 spotting scopes. I read the whole thread. Some good points made. For example, if all one is doing is using the spotting scope at the range at 100 or 200 yards in bright daylight - save your money and get a Barska. If you want to spot in the shadows, in the twilight, under a tree in the shade at 1 km; these are the areas where having good glass is very beneficial.

I followed a similar path that you are on. I bought a pair of EL 8x42 range. No regrets. The debate on 8 vs 10 x is more of a preference to me.

I ended up buying a Leica Spotting scope because for my eyes it was better than the Swaro or Zeiss, but that is somewhat subjective. Again very happy. Anyway, if you can, buy the good stuff once, used or new and you will never regret it.

Oh, and Omer in Quesnell at Aroma Foods is the guy to buy your glass from. Knows his stuff and his prices are very good.
    X2. Buy the best you can with the budget you have. 8x vs 10x is a preference. If you have shaky hands or prefer more field of view 8x is probably better.

Also ... aroma foods? Wut? I thought omers business was "precision optics"?

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    X2. Buy the best you can with the budget you have. 8x vs 10x is a preference. If you have shaky hands or prefer more field of view 8x is probably better.

Omer is originally Aroma Foods and added Precision Optics as his passionate hobby, which has morfed into one of if not the best Outdoor Retailers in Canada.
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post

Have not stopped there for a few years, now I just deal on line with Omer as "Precision Optics" - you are correct. I don't know if he has a separate store now or not but a few years ago if you stopped at Aroma Foods at the top of the hill in West Quesnell before you go down to the pulp mills and go inside...It's a kind of family grocery store with a European vibe. As you walk around in the middle of the store there sits
    a display case filled with absolutely top end glass, it is a real kick to see. Well worth the stop. Anyone been there recently?

Quote Originally Posted by wlbc View Post
    Have not stopped there for a few years, now I just deal on line with Omer as "Precision Optics" - you are correct. I don't know if he has a separate store now or not but a few years ago if you stopped at Aroma Foods at the top of the hill in West Quesnell before you go down to the pulp mills and go inside...It's a kind of family grocery store with a European vibe. As you walk around in the middle of the store there sits
    a display case filled with absolutely top end glass, it is a real kick to see. Well worth the stop. Anyone been there recently?

-it's on top of Dragon Lake Hill in South Quesnel
    -no there isn't a separate store
    -he's got a wee bit more than one display case in there now ��

Fellas .Thanks for the added replies much appreciated ! I have looked at Omer's website .
    Arctic Lake

Just so you fellas know I do have great binos, Meoptas Thanks to WF !
    A lot of local retailers don't stock many models to compare spotting scopes I guess having a lot of inventory is costly .I have been reading reviews and still investigating . Vortex Razor spotters get good reviews . Maybe look into Bushnell Elite . Nikon etc. Swavorski- Leica - too costly
    Arctic Lake

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Just so you fellas know I do have great binos, Meoptas Thanks to WF !
    A lot of local retailers don't stock many models to compare spotting scopes I guess having a lot of inventory is costly .I have been reading reviews and still investigating . Vortex Razor spotters get good reviews . Maybe look into Bushnell Elite . Nikon etc. Swavorski- Leica - too costly
    Arctic Lake
    If anyone else has info pleas post it up
    Thanks
    ArctiC Lake