Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Hunters' rights encountering hikers with off leash dogs

Re: Hunters' rights encountering hikers with off leash dogs

Man, as a new hunter - freshly converted over the past few years of my ignorant views towards the killing of animals, this is a little disconcerting with some of the bandying back and forth. If what I remember from CORE is accurate, then the original poster's question has been answered: The non-hunting public has every right to enjoy crown lands as they see fit – following governing laws (meaning they can't harass anyone, etc), and are not required to vacate because hunters are in the area – whether they have a dog or not.

However, it seems the topic has turned onto shooting dogs out in the field - which astounds me. As far as I know, you can only shoot what you have a tag for, as well as wolves and small game/upland birds (with the proper weapon, of course).

I don't think I'm wrong in understanding that dogs, feral or otherwise do not qualify as a legal shootable species.

I think most would agree that if you are getting lethally attacked by any animal, or person for that matter, you have the right to protect your life – however the manner in which you choose to do that may have severe consequences.

I don't think it's useful for anyone reading these forums, including new hunters like myself, to read, and I'll paraphrase "if a pack of wild dogs attacks you, shoot them". Also, regarding wolf and coyote: the onus of properly identifying your target animal is 100% the hunter's responsibility. The hunter must be 100% sure of the identity of the animal, not 50%, not 99% - 100%. Otherwise, as others have said, DO NOT SHOOT. This bears repeating.

On a previous elk hunt, a hunter in our party said when we came upon the herd at 300 yards, "we're bound to hit something if we just shoot in that direction". Understanding the perspective of this individual, I calmly dissuaded him by saying he could ruin the meat with a gut shot, not to mention the ethics of not going for a one-shot-kill. Needless to say, I won't be hunting with him again unless his outlook completely changes.

Sounds like most here are of an ethical hunting perspective, and my hope is most will follow that direction.

Thanks for sharing the pics Dana, very inspiring.
    ~
    Adult Onset Hunter
    CCFR Member

Wherever there is Animal Worship there is Human Sacrifice. That is, both symbolically and literally, a real truth of historical experience.
    — G. K. Chesterton

josh...as a new hunter.////..after many years of hunting ya will realise there are two kind of hunters///those who made mistake,,,and those who has'nt make it yet. one way or the another..but hopefully we all learn by making them.i haven't seen perfect hunter yet,,by my over 60 hunting years.

Quote Originally Posted by labguy View Post
    This is completely over over the top. How many feral dog attacks have there been on hunters in the bush? None that I know of. To even add this to your list of " things to worry about" when your hunting is totally absurd. You sir, need a serious reality check.

And to add, if this happened to one of my dogs it would not end well.
    Keep your dog under control and you will never have a problem. That's what I do and I absolutely detest dog owner's that think it is their divine to let their fido run freely.
    Letting their dog run and attack someone else's dog who is on leash. Get this straight, I have had it happen to me. The dog was not shot as I was not armed with firearm but I put myself between the "lobo" and my dog. I had knife in hand and was prepared to defend both of us, it came to a stand off. Stupid f***ing owner arrived shortly but why should I have to have the stress because he had no control of his mutt! F***ing moron!
    Before you spout off again about reality checks, take a long look at yourself in the mirror.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    Keep your dog under control and you will never have a problem. That's what I do and I absolutely detest dog owner's that think it is their divine to let their fido run freely.
    Letting their dog run and attack someone else's dog who is on leash. Get this straight, I have had it happen to me. The dog was not shot as I was not armed with firearm but I put myself between the "lobo" and my dog. I had knife in hand and was prepared to defend both of us, it came to a stand off. Stupid f***ing owner arrived shortly but why should I have to have the stress because he had no control of his mutt! F***ing moron!
    Before you spout off again about reality checks, take a long look at yourself in the mirror.
    You're out to lunch. Nowhere have I advocated for dogs running free without supervision. I too have had my dog attacked by a loose dog who was not under control. Unfortunately my dog didn't make it.

I always have control over my dog and have no use for people who don't. Get a grip man.....before you spout off again...
    Last edited by labguy; 10-26-2018 at 11:00 PM.
    "Guns kill people like spoons made Rosie O'Donel fat"

I think the OPs question was answered
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!