Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 'She was coming at me with her mouth open': B.C. man shoots grizzly in front yard

Re: 'She was coming at me with her mouth open': B.C. man shoots grizzly in front yard

as allways the report was wrong...
    i understand the gentlman was using buckshot.

and anybody that calls him a idiot its easy to say what to do from your townhouse in the concrete jungle...

i have learnt alot about predators in the last few years...and all i can say is. shoot to kill and break bones in the process...
    easy to say ignore it so it chomps your kid when your not home....
    there are way to many gbears in bella coola.

Re: 'She was coming at me with her mouth open': B.C. man shoots grizzly in front yard

srupp do you think a guy that shot that accurate and underpressure didnt use buckshot? cbc messed up buck/bird

Quote Originally Posted by walks with deer View Post
    srupp do you think a guy that shot that accurate and underpressure didnt use buckshot? cbc messed up buck/bird
    Hmm I am sorry I was going off reports..both here and news. .
    Whatever he used..was accurate..he got off 2 shots both hits..
    Im not sure what he could have done with slugs..he wasnt using them
    I agree everyone should read mr.Sheldons book..
    No warning shots
    Shoot to kill
    No rifle slings
    Practice
    Practice
    Practice
    No brdshot
    No buckshot
    From watching the video several times I think he would have fatally hit the bear with a slug fired from his shotgun. .
    Ive had a couple grizzly charges..I was impressed with his shooting
    Cheers
    Steven

It'll be interesting to get the full story at some point to see what prior steps he took. I'm just glad he did hit it, otherwise the story could have been much more tragic. Couldn't pay me to use buck/birdshot against a predator like that. 45-70 or slugs and centre mass until it stops or I do.

Anyone with expeience with problem bears gets this video and understands the actions of this person. Anyone who doesnt understand has not ever dealt with a bear problem. There is a reason why they are destroyed.
    Hunting the promised land

Quote Originally Posted by dino View Post
    Anyone with expeience with problem bears gets this video and understands the actions of this person. Anyone who doesnt understand has not ever dealt with a bear problem. There is a reason why they are destroyed.
    I agree. He did what at the time made the most sense,
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

The guys actions when the bear charged I don’t judge because he was in the right to defend himself and it was no doubt an oh sh!t moment

What I ? is why he put himself in the position to start with?

It seems by the report he most likely had better options and he chose to risk confrontation with a grizzly sow with cubs

Was there reasonable options the man could have taken to avoid the confrontation to start with? Seems very likely there was

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    The guys actions when the bear charged I don’t judge because he was in the right to defend himself and it was no doubt an oh sh!t moment

What I ? is why he put himself in the position to start with?

It seems by the report he most likely had better options and he chose to risk confrontation with a grizzly sow with cubs

Was there reasonable options the man could have taken to avoid the confrontation to start with? Seems very likely there was
    I think the important thing is we judge him unfavourably, knowing that if we were in his shoes, our actions would have been beyond reproach.
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

He shouldn’t of put himself in that situation at all.
    majorguns

The full video is here.... https://youtu.be/o0uM7s8hprc

Also, this is his write up from the Youtube video.

The Facts:Just got back after 1 week trip, 70+ year old in-laws (from the city) looking after the kids Left them a bucket of nuts and bolts to make noise to get bears off the property if they comeGot home the night before and noticed bent over mountain ash trees/broken branches, bear poo full of mountain ash berries, craters in the lawn In the morning, dogs were barking and noticed bears by the tree (no fruit since it was already all picked) that the kids climb in every dayWent and loaded 12g shotgun with 3 birdshot shells with the intention of shooting in the air to scare them away (family told us they had been coming back regularly since we had left and they weren’t scared of noise)Went outside, from underneath the deck, shot once in the air, and sow started charging so I ran back inside the houseShe then started walking her cubs away and took that as a sign of submission, then went outside again and when she got 65 yards away, I shot in the air again to keep pushing her alongAfter that shot, the sow turned around and looked at me and I yelled at her to keep moving her onThen in an instant, the sow turned and charged, head down, ears back, and hair flatI knew this was a serious charge and I only had one shot left (of birdshot), and having worked with bears for 30+ years on the river with Fisheries, and gone through repeated bear training with a shotgun, I knew that if I turned and ran, there would have been contactI didn’t want to blind her by hitting her in the face so aimed at her right side to hopefully trip her up to buy me enough time to run inside the houseI waited as long as I could, until she was just across the driveway and then I hazed her, which did trip her up so I turned and ran inside the houseShe kept coming towards the house with her mouth open, ready to bite me, and I slammed the door, the last thing I remember was gravel hitting my truck as she turned and ran back (four limbs working fine) and took her cubs awayI later tracked her and her cubs a ways off our acreage; there was no blood, no hair and I know she’ll be sore but she’ll now think twice about approaching peopleI talked it over with the local COs, showed them the video, and they said I was totally justified in defending myself and family.I’m just glad it was me and not the kids out there.""only one shot left and it was number 6 trap load, not a slug.......the kids just about saw their dad ripped to shit or killed ......head down ears back and fast .......so glad the gun went off......glad it was me and not the kids... apples were all picked and they were digging in the field for roots and eating the wild mountain ash berries.... the kids climb those trees every day... this valley is now a bear viewing zoo......the bear population is growing and the bears are not scared of people anymore.... bad mix......."
    If an animal is going to die so that I might live, the least I can do is perform the unsavoury deed myself.