Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: 'She was coming at me with her mouth open': B.C. man shoots grizzly in front yard

Re: 'She was coming at me with her mouth open': B.C. man shoots grizzly in front yard

Guys, I know Lawerence well. He walked salmon rivers for 30 years in grizzzly country for DFO. He knows bears and was obviously not expecting that behaviour from momma bear. He has killed several grizzlies include a couple with archery tackle.
    I would not have had birdshot in my shotgun and been prepared for the worst. I think the people of Bella Coola get used to these habituated bears and drop their guard more then you think.
    My question to him when I see him is "what's with the birdshot"

Re: 'She was coming at me with her mouth open': B.C. man shoots grizzly in front yard

No dog out moving towards sow, no man walking towards sow no attack.

Last edited by wideopenthrottle; 10-25-2018 at 01:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 4 point View Post
    No dog out moving towards sow, no man walking towards sow no attack.
    Habituated grizzlies living in peoples yards.....all wrong. This is the definition of a habituated bear. Only a matter of time until loss of life. Need to look at the bigger picture. The specifics of this incident are not the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by northof49 View Post
    Habituated grizzlies living in peoples yards.....all wrong. This is the definition of a habituated bear. Only a matter of time until loss of life. Need to look at the bigger picture. The specifics of this incident are not the issue.
    I agree.
    If people here do not have children, then they possibly don't just understand the real concerns.
    Deer in your backyard, okay, so they eat a few of the fallen apples.
    Grizzly hanging around your yard, and especially a sow with cubs!??
    Think about it folks:
    You let your kids out to play, and you think the bear isn't around with her young ones, and then suddenly, there is a cub.
    Great recipe for disaster, especially when it is a bear that frequents the yard.
    Yes, could call the CO 1st, to have it moved, but that rarely works.
    Again, I would have dealt with it, I just wouldn't have posted it.
    That's his only mistake.
    Just keep the video for "records" sake, in case someone actually asked, to prove the attack.
    Otherwise, keep your mouths shut.
    This isn't a "poaching" scenario, this is protecting your family from any further issues.

that bad momma was teaching those cubs to be town bears...they all gotta go for a dirt nap!!!!!! lots of places for them away from towns (where they should be) places where good mommas are teaching their cubs to avoid people!!!! These bears are producing triplets for bloody sake!!!!

What’s with all the NAY sayers? HBC police at its finest. This man did what needed to happen... he should have not posted online though. Sounds like a bunch of vancouverites trying to save the bears. When your family is in danger in your own property... it’s time to pull your pants up and deal with it. This guys got balls the size of softballs.

Took the words out of my mouth... if your in a situation where your protecting family/ livestock you don’t shoot to scare. You shoot to kill. And with proper firearm.

Should habituated bears be dealt with? yes

Was he in the right to shoot the bear once it charged? you bet

Was it smart going out and confronting the sow the way he did? No he put him self in a dangerous position ending in a wounded bear.

A problem bear being put down or a guy defending himself I have no issue with. Choosing to put himself at risk confronting the bear resulting in it being wounded and hazardous to others when he had better options was poor judgment

Maybe complacency maybe frustration clouded his judgment but there was better/safer options

Quote Originally Posted by moosinaround View Post
    I have lived/worked in bear country, bears that do not move on from habituated areas, are nuisance bears. This fellow is allowed to protect his family/dwelling from the bears, and should have shot the sow to kill it! It has now opened up a can of worms, and an investigation will render a verdict on culpability, but he was protecting his property! Silly to send a warning shot at a predator like that! That mistake nearly cost him his life! If you are firing at the bear, shoot to kill! Moosin

took the words out of my mouth.... you shoot to kill if your protecting family/livestock. Not to scare