Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Doe season do you agree with it??

Doe season do you agree with it??

Hey all

This has likely been talked about a lot but I’m wonder what people think about the open season for WT doe. I live and hunt in region 8 and I personally don’t agree and wouldn’t take a doe, you need females to make babies so we can have more bucks. That’s just my personal not scientific opinion! What’s do you guys think?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Doe season do you agree with it??

All depends on the population of WT and in a strong WT population it’s actually good to have a doe season. Good healthy buck vs doe ratio is a good thing for the population and actually can create better hunting conditions as well

All the best WT hunting destinations in Northern America have a doe season for a reason

But the issue I find in BC is they are applying this style of management on WT that are either low density or low population overall. Part of BC it’s a good thing to have a doe season

Most BC hunters underestimate how adaptable WT are to pressure and how much they change their habits as well

So I am both for and against the WT doe season it comes down to the MU

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

In BC, Management uses WT doe season as a tool to slow down WT expansion into troubled
    MD traditional areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Lew View Post
    In BC, Management uses WT doe season as a tool to slow down WT expansion into troubled
    MD traditional areas.
    Correct and in my opinion this is a waste of a resource but some have other opinions

all very fluid...carrying capacity...winter severity....if x is the max number of deer an area can hold for the winter, this will more likely result in competition for winter food so maybe you get 50% of deer (does) having one fawn each....if the number of deer (does) is much less than capacity and food is not restricted, the does may have up to 3 fawns..... x number of does at 1 fawn each would yield less fawns than 1/2 x does with 3 fawns each.....Wildlife pops are severely affected by winter/winter food availability (sometimes in ways that will even affect the next generation of deer)....

more does can be worse than less in this scenario..

i saw it stated once as "you can't stockpile wildlife".....

remember! winter is the big reset button on wildlife every year
    Last edited by wideopenthrottle; 10-22-2018 at 03:01 PM.

close to town as weeding them out and are great eating

I'm not into shooting does, but it doesn't bother me that other people do. I don't think we should be shooting does that have offspring with them.

The only thin that bothers me is seeing people post pics of the little fawns they shoot. Probably the worst thing a hunter can do on social media
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle View Post
    all very fluid...carrying capacity...winter severity....if x is the max number of deer an area can hold for the winter, this will more likely result in competition for winter food so maybe you get 50% of deer (does) having one fawn each....if the number of deer (does) is much less than capacity and food is not restricted, the does may have up to 3 fawns..... x number of does at 1 fawn each would yield less fawns than 1/2 x does with 3 fawns each.....Wildlife pops are severely affected by winter/winter food availability (sometimes in ways that will even affect the next generation of deer)....

more does can be worse than less in this scenario..

i saw it stated once as "you can't stockpile wildlife".....

remember! winter is the big reset button on wildlife every year
    With reports of most ungulate species declining in many MU’s in BC are we at carrying capacity?

If you research on winter kill there has not been any proven effective methods to limit the impact only theory

The actual theory to BCs WT management is they provide too much meat on the table increasing predation from cougars on MD( cougars main prey). Again an unproven theory abandoned after not achieving results in Alberta and some states

Just like the scorched earth theory that again has not proven to have results in solving predator populations

Lots of issues here in BC how we manage them compared to other areas is our biggest flaw

This is part of the reasons why BCs ungulate hunting forecast compared to the rest of Canada is dismal

Yup, if the population is strong enough meat is meat.

One of the areas I hunt, I've ran into 2 dozen + does (not counting their offspring) in the last few weeks and have seen TWO bucks... In this area I wouldn't hesitate to take a doe.. but I'm hoping that the does lure the big ol bucks in Soon..