Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Boston Bar deer hunting

Re: Boston Bar deer hunting

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    Walk 300 meters into the timber anywhere (even east Harrison) and there are no people. Walk 2-3km and it is likely nobody has set foot there for decades... especially if any hills were involved

I figure Region 2 on average gets less pressure than most places in BC. All the pressure is condensed to the few roads we have and typically you can't see anything from said roads. 95% of the land as a whole gets 0 pressure.
    That is sound advice...I just wonder how many phucktards are gonna get themselves lost though haha

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Dont use FSRs as starting points? That's absurd.
    Most think it’s about how remote you can get well it’s not in my opinion it’s about going where most people don’t. There is tons of ground people don’t step foot on. Lots of bush that cannot be accessed by FSR or can be accessed an easier way. Guys think hiking into the alpine gets them away. Well this gets you away from most but it also has a large fallowing of hunters and hikers that disturb these animals at times

Start thinking outside the box and you can find some interesting pockets.

The mention of hiking off the Hwy in this thread well myself and two others would do it but all of us have now moved too far to hunt it. We researched our access points and also knocked on doors to get permission to cross private land to do so.

This is just one way to avoid FSRs and not my favourite. This style of hunting involves a lot of research, scouting, and figuring out access issues. If you are a hunter who needs miles to hunt odds are you will get frustrated

You can hike like a mad man to successfully avoid others or you can avoid them from the start. Myself I am a work smarter not harder kind of guy lol

Still think its absurd?

Quote Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
    That is sound advice...I just wonder how many phucktards are gonna get themselves lost though haha
    I can't speak for the others, but I know I do!

One time I got stuck in a surprisingly small patch of timber. I had just gone to put a cam in a nice looking spot I noticed a week prior. The one time you don't bring your pack with the compass and you end up with thick fog. Kept ending up at this swamp on the north side of the timber (which stretched about 1km before a main road) and I needed to be 1km the opposite direction (to a deactivated road where the jeep was) Moss didn't help, tried lining up trees 30 yards ahead to make a straight line, but going around obstacles always got me turned around. About the 4th time we ended up back at the swamp we just decided to slug through it to the main road then walk around 5km to where the Jeep was. Walk of shame lol

In other cases the compass doesn't always help. Sometime I just assume there are multiple ways up and down a mountain. Sometimes it is true but other times you get most of the way down then get ledged up... not really lost, just a logistical problem of my own creation.

Mosin for Mayor of Sanity
    Jel -- Hahaha -- mosin the story teller? -- some good stuff hunter -- the phucktards thingy was hill hairy ass Hahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Jelvis View Post
    Mosin for Mayor of Sanity
    Jel -- Hahaha -- mosin the story teller? -- some good stuff hunter -- the phucktards thingy was hill hairy ass Hahahaha
    my other personal favorite is dyckhole

No matter where you hunt. You need to do your homework and leg work... nothings a gimmie out there. Hunt where it’s busy... but hunt the overlooked spot.

Jumping all over the globe is probably the least productive way to hunt. Find a area, get to know it and hunt it...

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Most think it’s about how remote you can get well it’s not in my opinion it’s about going where most people don’t. There is tons of ground people don’t step foot on. Lots of bush that cannot be accessed by FSR or can be accessed an easier way. Guys think hiking into the alpine gets them away. Well this gets you away from most but it also has a large fallowing of hunters and hikers that disturb these animals at times

Start thinking outside the box and you can find some interesting pockets.

The mention of hiking off the Hwy in this thread well myself and two others would do it but all of us have now moved too far to hunt it. We researched our access points and also knocked on doors to get permission to cross private land to do so.

This is just one way to avoid FSRs and not my favourite. This style of hunting involves a lot of research, scouting, and figuring out access issues. If you are a hunter who needs miles to hunt odds are you will get frustrated

You can hike like a mad man to successfully avoid others or you can avoid them from the start. Myself I am a work smarter not harder kind of guy lol

Still think its absurd?
    Yeah, i do. Just because there are good hunting spots that can be accessed directly off a highway doesn't mean there are no good spots that are accessed via FSRs. A vast majority of good hunting spots are accessed via FSRs and that's a fact. To just rule it out is, as i said, absurd.

It's like saying you can fish coho in the vedder canal and there's no need to drive 20km up the river. Yeah, you can .... doesn't mean the canal guys are gonna catch them all and make it pointless for the guys up above.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Yeah, i do. Just because there are good hunting spots that can be accessed directly off a highway doesn't mean there are no good spots that are accessed via FSRs. A vast majority of good hunting spots are accessed via FSRs and that's a fact. To just rule it out is, as i said, absurd.

It's like saying you can fish coho in the vedder canal and there's no need to drive 20km up the river. Yeah, you can .... doesn't mean the canal guys are gonna catch them all and make it pointless for the guys up above.
    I still have good spots that involve FSR access

Though my best spots have involved odd ball access this goes beyond hiking of Hwys even

In the end do what works for you but you don’t need to follow the normal train of thought

Lots of deer near the cabins. Lol
    Always see them crossing there.

I know 2 groups of hunters that have had double header bucks up that valley.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    I still have good spots that involve FSR access

Though my best spots have involved odd ball access this goes beyond hiking of Hwys even

In the end do what works for you but you don’t need to follow the normal train of thought
    You sound like you think you're the only guy who hikes into a spot straight off a highway ... newsflash lots of people do that. Obviously just not in the same spot as you. Good spots are found all over. FSR access, highway access, private land etc.

Yes, natural barriers generally produce good pockets, but let's not discredit spots accessed via FSRs just because that's what others do.

Do you have some pics or all this success you want to share with the rest? I dont recall seeing anything from you lately

Just sayin..... your word goes a lot further on here if you can back it up with some sweet pics of the success for us to enjoy!
    Last edited by twoSevenO; 10-23-2018 at 02:12 PM.