Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Boston Bar deer hunting

Re: Boston Bar deer hunting

Woke up to some wolf tracks in BB. Never saw any of those punks though. Just some birds and a couple blackies, though one looked like a tank.

One thing I noticed at BB (spent 5 or 6 nights sleeping up there last couple weeks) is there were more vehicles going up and coming down at night (1am-4am) than during the day. Made me a bit suspicious... I can see heading in and setting up camp but I thought coming out a couple hours later was odd. I guess I shouldn't think that way though. Could just be some guys just like going out for a midnight ride.

Driving Anderson main with a Timmie's sounds awesome. I checked that road on my way out for a bit... nice and flat. How far is it drivable? I got distracted by the first spur that went way up to some power lines lol (like half the other roads) ... wish I would have explored Anderson before utilius and spius... driving up and down those roads burns gas and increases my scent profile because of the burning tire and brake smell... then the brakes start squeaking and it's hard to sneak up on anything

More seriously though. Is it still passable to the Coq? The road that goes up Stoyoma seemed to be the best bet... other possible route I checked out looked pretty grown in... looks like it eventually works its way around and back down the other side.

Anything a couple or three hours from the LML is going to be a gong show.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

Collectivism is Slavery

Support a Woman's right to arm herself.

Jan 13th
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj9Pm8-tFuU

You can continue on Uztilius past the pond and beaver house to the Coldwater and onto Merritt ... would have a whitetail tag as you get closer to the Coldwater and the bush opens up .. one long hill before the pond ... heavy snow can cause issues ... bring chains if in there in November just in case . The mule deer in there exhibit blacktail features .. any deer out of there is rewarding. : )

Quote Originally Posted by 180grainer View Post
    Anything a couple or three hours from the LML is going to be a gong show.
    Yes and no

There is still lots of pockets that don’t get pressure. A lot of the FSRs are busy yes

easy trick to beat crowds is in this thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ferenc View Post
    You can continue on Uztilius past the pond and beaver house to the Coldwater and onto Merritt ... would have a whitetail tag as you get closer to the Coldwater and the bush opens up .. one long hill before the pond ... heavy snow can cause issues ... bring chains if in there in November just in case . The mule deer in there exhibit blacktail features .. any deer out of there is rewarding. : )
    Thanks I will have to see if I can figure it out from the mapbook. I got a bit confused about which road I was on. I remember a sign saying East Uztilius / Stoyoma but later I think it said Spius. I'd bring chains an extra gas for sure. It already snowed up there a little bit.

Actually maybe this will help. Around 6km the road forks... left side the counter starts at 0.5km and eventually goes to that Stoyoma sign (around 7km later) and then on and on (I think I drove a good 30k north east but more north than east) right side of that fork I think I drove 17 or 18km then drove through a washout/creek but after that it looked pretty grown in... wasn't sure how far it would be jeepable.
    Last edited by caddisguy; 10-22-2018 at 06:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Yes and no

There is still lots of pockets that don’t get pressure. A lot of the FSRs are busy yes

easy trick to beat crowds is in this thread
    Walk 300 meters into the timber anywhere (even east Harrison) and there are no people. Walk 2-3km and it is likely nobody has set foot there for decades... especially if any hills were involved

I figure Region 2 on average gets less pressure than most places in BC. All the pressure is condensed to the few roads we have and typically you can't see anything from said roads. 95% of the land as a whole gets 0 pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    Walk 300 meters into the timber anywhere (even east Harrison) and there are no people. Walk 2-3km and it is likely nobody has set foot there for decades... especially if any hills were involved

I figure Region 2 on average gets less pressure than most places in BC. All the pressure is condensed to the few roads we have and typically you can't see anything from said roads. 95% of the land as a whole gets 0 pressure.

Ditch the use of FSRs as your starting point for your hike and think how little pressure the game sees

Now find access far away from FSRs along with crossing a natural barrier and think about what you may find lol

This goes for all regions 2 included

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    Thanks I will have to see if I can figure it out from the mapbook. I got a bit confused about which road I was on. I remember a sign saying East Uztilius / Stoyoma but later I think it said Spius. I'd bring chains an extra gas for sure. It already snowed up there a little bit.

Actually maybe this will help. Around 6km the road forks... left side the counter starts at 0.5km and eventually goes to that Stoyoma sign (around 7km later) and then on and on (I think I drove a good 30k north east but more north than east) right side of that fork I think I drove 17 or 18km then drove through a washout/creek but after that it looked pretty grown in... wasn't sure how far it would be jeepable.

ive done it a couple times in my one ton ford. Nothing major. I’d bring chains now for sure as the snow gets deep up top. You can for sure get from Anderson main to Coldwater or head north and exit closer to merit.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Ditch the use of FSRs as your starting point for your hike and think how little pressure the game sees

Now find access far away from FSRs along with crossing a natural barrier and think about what you may find lol

This goes for all regions 2 included
    Dont use FSRs as starting points? That's absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    but wouldn't that get a guy sweating? Clammy...cold...miserable.
    Yes but if you did it dressed head to toe in kuui gear it would make a wonderful selfie to be enjoyed by generations to come. You can hang the picture in a location suggesting you wanted it to be discreet but somehow it's in your office where everyone comes and sees it and you yearn for someone to ask "is that you? You hunt? Isn't it scary hunting bears? You then flex your chest while simultaneously sucking in your gut and say..."yeah I was spotting my hunting buddy when this thing charged and I was forced to dispatch it, lucky I was there"