Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Powered ice augers

Powered ice augers

I'm sick of spending most of my time drilling through ice with a hand powered auger and figure I can get a lot more done with a powered one.So this year I'm thinking of picking up a gas/electric ice auger. I go out about twice a year so I don't need anything with a crazy amount of power, nor do I want to spend a ton of $$ on one. Any recommendations? Any I should stay away from? I've seen a battery powered one made by Eskimo called the "ion". Haven't seen many reviews but it says it will drill 40 holes in 2' of ice on one charge. Seems pretty good to me.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Powered ice augers

if you only go out twice a year...upgrade to a quality hand auger at 1/4 to 1/3 the cost of any power auger, or treat your old auger to new blades

how thick of ice are you drilling? hand auger shouldn't kill you, say up to 16-24" of ice, just warm you up

for a casual user, the ion is one of the more expensive augers on the market...for gas I'd look at lower cc eskimo or jiffy models, should be 400-500 but often on sale...but I'd also check out the finbore manual auger too, with the conical blades, cuts great

There are propane powered augers out there as well.
    Run on those green screw on types.
    No regards for these either?

Seen some on sale for around the three brown ones mark.

No fun drilling holes by hand if one has injuries to contend with.

If you already have a chainsaw maybe consider one of these.

http://www.lewiswinch.com/multidrill/Ice_Augers.html

The Ion is a great auger. A friend got one for Christmas. It is super quiet, but at $599 a shot it might not be the one for the occasional fisherman. I just got the Canadian Tire flyer and they have a gas one by Eskimo for $299. It's the same 8" auger that I have had for five years. All a guy needs.
    Live to hunt, hunt to live!!!!!

TWICE a year?
    and you need a power auger for that?
    AND you are in the LML, not the NWT.
    sounds like a big waste of $$.

Or hook one up to your 18v drill .... I did this year and it works great ...

Quote Originally Posted by Sofa King View Post
    TWICE a year?
    and you need a power auger for that?
    AND you are in the LML, not the NWT.
    sounds like a big waste of $$.
    We go up to our cabin for a week or two at a time.
    Why hunt with a rifle that costs $$ while a spear will do the job? Why spend thousands on a vehicle when you can buy a bus pass instead? Why buy a computer and Internet when we have books? Why get married when you can buy a hooker and not have to deal with the BS? Sometimes it's all about making life easier and not about the cost.

Thank you!!!^. I had already sent him a PM stating he is full of useless comments and needs to keep his (Sofaking) mouth shut if he has nothing to add regarding a thread. ( yes I know neither am I at the moment lol )

A Power Auger??? What's a Auger??? I like to ice fish, But, I's got a screwed up back, both hips don't work no more, got a Aneurism on my Aorta, and I'm a Diabetic to boot, and I use my pocket knife to make holes in the ice! Sure, takes me a bit longer, but look at all the money I'm saving each time I go Ice Fishing! 1, 2 even 3 feet of ice, no problem for me and my 3 inch Buck! I see guys with there nice and shiny Ion Rechargeable 10 inch Ice Augers, and I laugh! It must cost a small fortune every 40 holes in 2 foot thick ice to recharge them fancy battery's, nope, I'll stick with my "Buck", Thanks!!!