Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Carpenter Lake 2018 for Deer and Bear?

Re: Carpenter Lake 2018 for Deer and Bear?

Quote Originally Posted by whitlers View Post
    There were a couple good spur roads off the pond that are now deactivated to shit. They tore the roads right up for more than a km. There is a back way in there though. Definatley some good spots if you hike around. Saw lots of deer only one buck and a couple spikes. A ton of traffic and lots of people hiking the ridges.
    Sounds like it's not worth the effort going in there anymore.
    Used to be a good area.
    I know there were some roads from the Fraser side but never tried.
    When you say "lot's of people hiking the ridges"
    You mean hunters, or hikers, mountain bikers?
    WLM
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. - Clint Eastwood
    "Lots of critters to still shoot. And there'll be no quitters until we bag some critters" - 180grainer
    "Politicians should wear sponsor jackets like Nascar drivers, then we know who owns them" - Robin Williams

Flush the Turd!

Located and residing on the unceded territory of European Settler's traditional land.
    Click here to learn more 🖕

Quote Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
    Used to be a good area.
    I was just there a few days ago, I didn't make it to hold bridge because it started snowing heavily at the 15km mark and I didn't wanna get trapped. I checked out alot of spur roads and saw moose sign on most of them but obviously can't shoot them. I saw no bear or deer sign at all. I even tried the lillooet far heading into the Meagher basin area and no deer. Not even a doe. I saw maybe 4-5 hunters on that stretch of the Hurley and lillooet fsr. No one had a deer in their truck. I went on Oct 29th. Things may have changed now but I doubt it. I was told it was a wintering ground, maybe I gotta wait another 3 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
    Used to be a good area.
    Plenty of hunters hiking the ridges. As would be expected. It's a good area just seeing alot of pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckzilla View Post
    Does anyone know who did this deactivation and why it was done?
    i have seen pics, and no way loggers are spending that much time or money to do that.
    so who?
    I'd like to know aswell. I have never seen anything like it. I used to camp back in there and hike out every morning. I tried to hike the deactivation and after a km I turned back. Never seen a road so tore up it's crazy. Someone spent a TON of money.

BIG grizzlies, BIG cougars up and down the Bridge river valley. They called the area the Serengeti of the north back before they flooded it all. Progress.....

wow this is awesome...

to many people quading in the alpine... rip the roads out!!! perfect that doesnt just protect the alpine but the game two... i would gladdly donate some machine time to protect some of these sensitive habitats... bc needs more of this...
    influx of hunters to a once quite corner and population numbers probably really dropped.
    its sad to say but espeacially wintering grounds we need to restrict easy access.
    the population wouldnt of just dropped from the hunting but tourist too make the deer be pushed to less prime locations and more suceptable to predators.

i saw squamish feel the city engulf it...

it was a happy little mill town for years and with the sea to sky improvments for the olympics. it wasnt so far to squamish any more and the wave came from vancouver... now its so busy the wave is pushing further up.
    i remember squamish before this.

so i see all tha extra pressure they need to stop it...

mission wasnt allways a mess of people either the sprawl pushed in there and are overpopulated with people.

this causing enviromental damage.

I hunted Carpenter lake a couple years ago. Deer populations were good. Saw a few hunters driving the roads but never saw anyone on any of my hikes. Came home with a decent 4 point too. Big body. Filled my freezer.