Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ground blinds..make model store

Re: ground blinds..make model store

Hit it with seam sealer on all the stitching. Will take care of the threads wicking in water.

Quote Originally Posted by 86k20 View Post
    Hit it with seam sealer on all the stitching. Will take care of the threads wicking in water.
    Bought 3 tubes of seam sealer...and 4 cans of silicon spray waterproofing..both non scent..no smell for hunting ground blinds..will do the seam sealing tommorrow before heading out deer hunting.will silicone spray the next day ..then I can air it out for 2 weeks.
    Good tip.
    Steven

Just watch out for dogs when you're airing it out. My neighbor had his set out in his back yard and his dog would go over and lift his leg and give it a squirt once in awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by moosecamp View Post
    Just watch out for dogs when you're airing it out. My neighbor had his set out in his back yard and his dog would go over and lift his leg and give it a squirt once in awhile.
    Good point..our back yard is 100 % dogproof with 6 foot chain link..will have to watch Ebony. .but SHE squats to pee..lol
    Cheers
    Steven

First coat of seam sealer finished. .will check for touch up spots tommorrow. .then slicon spray on out side..water proofing dilicon..and also has UV inhibitors. .helps lessen/prevent sun damage....
    Its big enough , Steven likes it..however my hunter host doesnt think much of it..because he is such a great friend,, Brother he has offered to store it keep it at his home so im not embarrassed by beeing seen with it taking it home.great friend.
    Steven

So..slight change in plan's. .the inside was hit using seam sealer..tubes. .each thread seam was hit 2x on the inside. .da da

Then this morning I turned to the outside. .I made my own seam sealer..
    I used 100 % clear silicone..tube..I used 36..think grams or ounces..? then mixed the exact same weight of odorless mineral spirits.. 1:1 mixture and mixed it completely in a pint jar..glass..
    Then using a small foam brush I hit each and every stitch seam generously working it in with long feathering strokes.
    It has soaked in with a slight darkening of the wetted fabric..now it is just slightly darkened..

Final step is tomorrow..when 4 cans of Woods silicon spray will be sprayed on the outside material..this spray not just coats the stitching and fabric..but adds a UV protectant..so keeps the fabric from deteriorating.fading..making the $$$$ ground blind last longer..
    Then 2 weeks of airing tge ground blind out...
    Steven

HOLY Phuck Steven ! Your SURE under a LOT of Pressure over this Blind you could have a heart attack any time now ! Man you need to CHILL out a bit buddy maybe come down to Kammy and pickup some Cannabis at our Local GOV store ! LOL

Cheers RJ

[QUOTE=REMNGTIN JIM;204331Steven ! Your SURE under a LOT of Pressure over this Blind you could have a heart attack any time now ! Man you need to CHILL out a bit buddy maybe come down to Kammy and pickup some Cannabis at our Local GOV store ! LOL

Cheers RJ[/QUOTE]

Lol RJ...work hard to hunt easy.Same as rifle..sight it in prior to hunt.
    This hunt Is important to me because..Susan will be there on this hunt..in the blind beside me..first time in 30 years !
    If the tent leaks..she WILL bail..iF its cold...she will bail..
    I have been applying for this Alberta mulie hunt..during the rut for11 years..i simply dont want to bail...
    So a good ground blind, properly waterproofed...a good heater..i have 30 # tank plus buddy heater..Susan also has a comfortable chair, very very good winter clothes..so she can endure 10 hours in the blind each day.

Im ******ed..im retired..so everything is cleaned up for winter..my chores are done..some deer hunting here yet..a chainsaw box needs to be built..and ensure the ground blind is waterproof..no stressing Bro. Just doing my part well.
    Cheers
    Steven

Steven

Are you planning on hunting in the rain?? I have 4 blinds, all Ameristep, for 5 years, never done anything to them other than dry them out after the season and have never had an issue. No leaks from the heat inside and the light dusting of snow on the outside. I always brush my blind off before I enter so i don't get any melting drips inside. Bigger issue is the condensation inside that freezes and then melts when I add heat. Make sure you don't leave things against the side of your blind or they could get wet.

How flexible is your sealer when it gets cold? Or even when you collapse and set up?

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

I hear ya Ken..Ameristep in their instructions I recieved it recomends seam sealing..and silicon tx forfabric..reading and trying to follow instructions...my bad..
    Im not planning on anything lol but with limited time..will hunt rain snow sunshine..whatever..
    Woods product says its for tents or making siltarp type items..
    Im glad you have positive experiences with Ameristep..at least my choice was good ?
    Be done tommorrow IF I wasnt going hunting...lots of items for trip out , cleaned . checked. .marked off list...
    Hope your season is going incredibly well. ..
    Cheers
    Steven