Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Using an Outfitter to get into the back country for elk moose.

Re: Using an Outfitter to get into the back country for elk moose.

Quote Originally Posted by dakoda62 View Post
    Went with Tetsa River Outfitters Beth and Doug Cobbett. 4 grand a piece 10 days by horse.
    Worth every penny and then some did a hunt with them and can’t wait to do another. Great people, great service can’t say enough good things about Tetsa river outfitters and Betth and Doug.
    VEGETARIAN (vej' eter' een) n:
    Old Indian Word for
    BAD HUNTER

One of the reasons o like to hunt is to get out in the bush,away from the noise and confusion of a bunch of people who can,t seem to live without their ‘music’,partying and generally ruining the peace and quiet I cherish.Last moose trip to the Swift river (32 hour drive) used to ensure peace and quiet,but last time there were about six jet boats on the river.I won’t bother going back.Same for areas with areas that look like highways with road hunters( although getting back a bit eliminates most of that-and results in more animals seen) For those reasons I would like to try a self guided hunt hiring only a packer,jet boat or plane to fly in-if I only knew who to go with or where to go.Not into trophy hunting,just a good spot to go,see some animals and maybe take one.All we need is transportation to and from and some local knowlege
    Last edited by ratherbefishin; 10-19-2018 at 06:56 AM.

Has anyone had luck with asking any guide/outfitter for transport, for an unguided drop-camp type hunt?
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Testa is a unguided hunt they transport your game as well as pack it and they provide a camp with provide the food.
    VEGETARIAN (vej' eter' een) n:
    Old Indian Word for
    BAD HUNTER

For DIY hunts, I honestly don't think you can do it cheaper than by plane (except by foot obviously) if you want to get way back away from a road. Of course how far you fly is relevant, and just fyi you will always need a second flight home for meat if you are harvesting moose...that being said its still worth it and cheaper than any other way. Going in by hired horse or hired boat is also an experience I hope to be a part of one day, but its more the experience than trying to save $$
    Last edited by Darksith; 10-19-2018 at 08:30 AM.
    WSSBC Monarch
    WSF Life Member
    2% Certified
    RMGA Member
    CCFR Member

Hmmm Beaver is $9.80 air mile..never heard of by the hour..
    Beaver has limit of 1200 pounds
    Turbo Beaver limit of 1300 pounds
    Anyone considering. .even considering Tin tin Out of Atlin..Chris Mosers old flying grounds. Consider contacting me for " updates"
    Know where you want to go, why there, when, and what you need in the way of equipment..knowledge..
    If you can do that most fun you can have with your clothes on..
    Steven

The horse/jetboat transporters charge by the head, no? $5K/hunter or $5K/trip? 100 miles each way X2 for the meat load is $4K of flights? I’ve done long wilderness horse trips in my youth. Fun, but not my bag at this point.

In response to the OPs question I was on a fully guided trip this year with Doug and Sandy McKee of Muskwa River Adventures based out of Poplar Camp on the Muskwa. It was a 10 day trip the bulk of which was spent in a spike camp we reached on horseback and a couple of days in base camp. It was successful (elk) and the experience was fantastic, I'm still talking about it. Very capable reliable and flexible outfit.

MRA offers everything from river transport to fully guided trips (under license from Big 9). They also rent camps for people who are pretty much independent.

Cost varies depending on what you want, their prices for guided hunts were very reasonable. My only experience was with the guided hunt.

Muskwa River Adventures has a website with contact info and a Facebook page.

Hope this is useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Phila View Post
    In response to the OPs question I was on a fully guided trip this year with Doug and Sandy McKee of Muskwa River Adventures based out of Poplar Camp on the Muskwa. It was a 10 day trip the bulk of which was spent in a spike camp we reached on horseback and a couple of days in base camp. It was successful (elk) and the experience was fantastic, I'm still talking about it. Very capable reliable and flexible outfit.

MRA offers everything from river transport to fully guided trips (under license from Big 9). They also rent camps for people who are pretty much independent.

Cost varies depending on what you want, their prices for guided hunts were very reasonable. My only experience was with the guided hunt.

Muskwa River Adventures has a website with contact info and a Facebook page.

Hope this is useful.
    Thanks for your input Phila. I might call them and see what they can do for me.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

Collectivism is Slavery

Support a Woman's right to arm herself.

Jan 13th
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj9Pm8-tFuU

Quote Originally Posted by emerson View Post
    The horse/jetboat transporters charge by the head, no? $5K/hunter or $5K/trip? 100 miles each way X2 for the meat load is $4K of flights? I’ve done long wilderness horse trips in my youth. Fun, but not my bag at this point.
    I'm still convincing myself I'm in my youth which is why I'm looking at something like this. To be honest. One of the reason I'm looking into this, (and every other hunt I do) is it's an incentive to prepare physically. When I'm running up that street in April I like thinking about killing that elk, (normally goat) in September.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

Collectivism is Slavery

Support a Woman's right to arm herself.

Jan 13th
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj9Pm8-tFuU