Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Blacktail rut timing?

Blacktail rut timing?

Anyone seeing any signs of the blacktail rut starting to kick in?
    I have seen bucks acting goofy around Halloween but was wondering when it typically sets in? I haven't seen any fresh rubs yet but thinking it must start soon..

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Blacktail rut timing?

It’s on Halloween. Killed many bucks on that day.
    majorguns

In chilliwack it’s usually December and January.... so don’t bother coming this way in November

deer rutting activity on Vancouver island seem to peak about the end of October,and succeeding minor ruts every month until the end of December

1st to 2nd week in November is rut mid island.
    Pre rut is end of October in my opinion depending on elevation.
    copper surprize

Probably nothing wrong with getting ready soon to get out there.
    I have noticed over the years, many bucks, be it BT, MD or WT seem to get dropped right near the end of Oct and beginning of
    November.
    Why?
    My thought is that they are "on the move", meaning they haven't quite settled in on the does they want to breed, but are starting to get ready to head out, dropped down, what have you.
    Although during the rut, some bucks will "hit and run", meaning breed a doe here, and then go over there looking for the next one in heat.
    Looks like your in the Skeena however, so cant tell you exactly when it kicks in.

I'm surprised by some of the responses. I'd always assumed because of geography, Blacktail were the last of the deer in BC to start their rut which would put it into December. Maybe I've had it wrong all these years.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed,

Collectivism is Slavery

Support a Woman's right to arm herself.

Jan 13th
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj9Pm8-tFuU

Quote Originally Posted by 180grainer View Post
    I'm surprised by some of the responses. I'd always assumed because of geography, Blacktail were the last of the deer in BC to start their rut which would put it into December. Maybe I've had it wrong all these years.
    A good friend took his first deer (BT) chasing a pack of does on December 15

Deer at the lower elevations seem to rut first, late Oct - early Nov. Higher elevations will rut later mid-late Nov even into Dec.

I live where I can observe deer activity daily
    There actually an early rut,end of September accounting for the big fawns you see,then the main rut a month later when the bulk of th3 does are bred,the The does that didn’t get bred come in again a month later,and even some the end of December, accounting for the very small fawns you see.Generaly they don’t survive the winter unless in lower elevations