Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Blacktail rut timing?

Re: Blacktail rut timing?

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Bugle M In I have brought up my concern of buck vs doe ratios in parts of BC having an impact on fawn birth timing and survival in the past

There is even a study on Wt in the states that showed positive long term results from higher buck % resulting in higher rate of fawn survival and an increase in adult weight in the overall population after a number of years

About 10-12 years ago I started noticing spotted fawns later into the year in many areas. Did not see this in some of the micro populations I hunt that held higher % of bucks

At this time BC hunters are too concerned about days in the field and have been told male harvest has no impact for many years.

But not to highjack this thread let’s keep to rut talk
    Agrred, I don't want to derail thread, BUT, one last thing to your post.
    Yes, there are does being bred late (maybe normal, maybe not).
    And yes, could be a ratio thing, or, maybe not.
    Could the introduction of wolves in the area being having more of an effect on deer, then just being predated on?
    Could they also be affecting how and when does are being bred??

Like I said, EVERY stone needs to be looked under.
    Some of these issues are "complex"!, not just a one thing, "silver bullet" reason/answer.
    Could be lots of factors leading to one big issue.
    That's why I don't agree with just implementing more restrictions like we have in the past.
    Not until we know, and have a great understanding, of what the issue/s are!
    One thing were I differ from folks like Dana is, I don't blame hunters for the issues, and not hunting.
    There are big failures elsewhere that need to be corrected 1st.

To the OP, sorry for the derail.

Bugle M in In my opinion the list of issues is huge with many having nothing to do with hunters I just look at all avenues

To add to the actual topic of this thread I have found BT response to calling is the last 3 weeks of November

I have been hunting blacktails for 30 plus years on Quadra and Campbell River. The timing of the rut does not change. What changes is the weather. We all know you see way more Blacktails when the weather is wet and windy.If we get nice sunny weather during the rut a bunch of guys start looking for excuses,the rut is late etc. Rut,same time every year,the length of the days is what brings it on.As for the elusive second rut.I have only seen evidence of that once,a big rut crazed buck chasing a doe on dec 8,that will give you a later fawn birth but it is rare.

I have found that migratory region 2 bucks hang up around 1700-1800m until the first big high elevation snow dump the first week of November, then come down a bit and the herds seem to be concentrated for a couple weeks. Second half of November the deer seem to hole up a wee bit. Definately still rutting activity from the bigger bucks into December.

November long weekend...bucks and does were real stinky and rutted up on Haida Gwaii.
    A spiritual being trying to have a human experience

shot my 2nd blacktail of the year last year in the LM on Dec 3 ..... was chasing a doe big time, but wasn't stinky at all.

Saw a nice buck with an erection staring at a cute doe, yesterday in Metchosen.

Quote Originally Posted by MOOSE MILK View Post
    Saw a nice buck with an erection staring at a cute doe, yesterday in Metchosen.
    Now I am afraid to ask why you chose the handle MOOSE MILK lol

Starts the last few days of oct and peak nove10-14
    yep that's what I said

Quote Originally Posted by mikek blacktail View Post
    Starts the last few days of oct and peak nove10-14
    Pretty much my observation in 30+ years of hunting them on the island.