Thread: Used Kids/Youth Hunting Cothing and R&G Clubs Potential

Used Kids/Youth Hunting Cothing and R&G Clubs Potential

So, starting to think about the upcoming Nov. MD hunt, and taking my daughter (11) who is looking forward to "hanging with the guys"!, and searching for deer for dad.

Issue is, kids grow, and I find myself year after year, having to buy new clothing for her.
    And, I am not the type of Dad that just says, here's some rubber boots, use this, while I walk around in my 400 gr thinsulate gortex boots etc.

I hike all day, and so does she, and carries her food, binos, camera and whatever else when we go (sorry, but dad makes her do it!, I might carry spare water etc for her)

Anyways, I have a hard time financially affording this stuff.
    I do my best, looking on CL and going to Sports Junkies locally to look for used gear.

Yes, got her gaiters and stuff like that, which I can reuse year after year, but boots (which I was lucky last season to find her used North Face, Gortex ladies hiking boots) and underarmour pants from winners, but this is a rarity to find stuff like that year after year.
    I just cant go to Bass Pro etc to buy new stuff for one season.

So, I was thinking/wondering if there are any places where people have "donated" hunting clothes for kids/youth?

If not, could it be a consideration that R&G clubs consider doing something like this where they have bins at the clubs where people can donate the clothes/boots their children have outgrown, and where others can come in, "looking for clothes" for the season?

Maybe the clubs could charge a "membership fee" for this.
    That being said though, I don't know what membership fees are these days? (I live downtown, so I am not a member anywhere).
    But maybe a fee of 30 - 50$ a year? so that parents can come in to see what is there.

Basically a win/win for everyone (Except for BP or Cabelas).
    On top of that, parents like me don't have to consider "not taking the kids" due to money/costs, and the kids can go.
    The added bonus is, and the most important, is that kids are now "comfortable" while out in the field.

Sometimes I find some great fleecy pants with pockets designed for hiking/outdoors, but then the next season, nothing, and then there is the "jacket issue", and the boot issues?

Its more about the "Outerwear" that I am having difficulties with.

Wonder if that already happens? and if not, if R&G Clubs may consider it??

Thanks BMI

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Used Kids/Youth Hunting Cothing and R&G Clubs Potential

Yes agreed, this can be very challenging. Somewhere to trade would be great. We hit garage sales, thrift stores, winners etc for as much as we can and pass most clothes to younger cousins and friends. My wife started making clothes for the kids which made it more affordable. She can make a high quality ultralight puffy jacket with $30 for materials (ripstop by the roll) and some time. We also started buying from mountain warehouse which seems to have real good prices and the quality seems good. I find muck boots work well for most of the hunts the kids go on and they wear them to school all winter. They also have cheaper light hikers which they also wear day to day.

Several times I have found merrel hiking boots at value village... and I have also found an assortment of camo PJs etc. (Fleece) to pull over some normal cloths... I always check value village first

yup, I agree, many places to run around to and check, and I appreciate thoughts and options of where to check.
    I was more wondering if there was a way to recycle hunting clothes for kids at more of a "general location" dependent upon ones location I suppose.

Believe me, if I had the space, I would consider having a "depot" so to speak for people to come by, drop off and find, type of
    idea.

Just trying find a way for us to "come together" and "help" each other, especially those that have young families like myself with a limited income, that is geared towards just "hunting/outdoor" clothing.

Craigslist always has a huge selection of ladies hiking boots at reasonable prices. Quite often you can get recognizable brands for decent prices.

So, looked thru CL, and ya, there are some ladies hiking boots possibility, but as more used youth hunting clothes, nope.
    Tried searches like hiking, Camo, hunting etc, but nothing really to speak of.
    Anyways, as I have been feeling, it would be nice to see some sort of used hunting clothes for kids implemented for kids
    dependent upon where one lives.
    And again, I would have no issues paying a membership fee to a R&G Club, if they were to provide such a service as to be a
    depot, so to speak, where one can come in, drop off or pick up used hunting clothing for kids.
    Or a deposit fee?

Just something to make it a little easier for some with kids.
    Hard to shell out 300$ just so the kid can get out for a 4 day week, once a year.
    (sorry, but not all of us can roll out the driveway and be into game in 20 minutes or less)