Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 7-23A Moose numbers

Re: 7-23A Moose numbers

Love that Parsnip country ! Many tributaries that drain into it I would love to explore !
    Arctic Lake

Quote Originally Posted by zazman View Post
    Happy Jack - Good luck and I’d like to hear how you make out.

We didn’t see much for predator tracks in the area either but there was a couple sets of wolf tracks at the back end of some old cut locks we walked into. Bears seem to have hunkered down already as we saw lots of older sign but just blackies. We will probably head back to the area in a week again. I’m hoping for some snow but long term temps look like they are staying warm.
    We took the 700 rd to a few miles past the parsnip, saw only 2 moose tracks on the road, in 60 or 70K, so we back tracked and took the cutoff at 14K towards Tacheeda [7-16]...spent the afternoon over there and managed to see a nice big bull moose [40" perhaps] but no leh tags for us. Lots of wolf track along the cut across road, and a few deer tracks....but it appears if there are still moose in there they sure aren't moving around much.

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    Every time someone can't find game the old grizzly bear/wolf debate pops up...
    Thats not what I was getting at, I’m wondering why the ministry is going ahead with half it’s plan to save the caribou. You’d think if they axed half the plan due to misguided public opinion. They’d axe the other half and try to keep a few more moose around

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    A healthy wolf population is a pretty clear indication that there's lots of game around. I'll bet the wolves in that area don't have a problem finding moose. The difference being a wolf is a trained and skilled hunter.
    Thanks for your assertation Dr. Bustercluck. Problem is many areas of the province this one included do not have a healthy wolf population. They have 2 or 3 or more times the carrying capacity.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this