Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 7-23A Moose numbers

7-23A Moose numbers

I just got back from a few days hunting moose in 7-23a area. I have never hunted here before but we covered a lot of ground but found very little of any recent sign of moose anywhere at the lower elevations along the Parsnip or Misinchinka River. We never looked around in the Kennedy Siding the No Shooting Area. There was several others hunting the same area and all reported seeing nothing, or at least didn’t want to say anything.

We we found some recent track at the higher elevations but access is pretty limited and put our time in calling with no response. We did get back into some country on foot well away from the roads and quad trails and still no luck finding any wallows or scrapes. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed the same around hereas we are thinking maybe going back later this month when there is hopefully some snow on the ground thinking maybe they will move down to the lower elevations. Not looking for honey holes - just wonder if others have seen the same or know much about the area.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 7-23A Moose numbers

A lot of MU’s outside of regions 8/4 moose numbers have dropped 25-50% if I remember correctly so not a big surprise to hear hunters seeing limited sign

Oddly enough if you read the big game forecast for all the provs in Canada BCs is very dismal compared to the rest of Canada

Think it’s time BC start admitting just maybe we are doing things wrong wildlife wise

We were hunting there because we have an LEH for any bull, but see they also have an open calf season. My son and I were surprised that the management of an area showing very few numbers would have a general season for calves. Which is why I’m asking about numbers. I hate to assume there’s no moose in an area just because I couldn’t find any in a few days. Maybe just the wrong place at the wrong time and although we covered a lot of ground I hate to assume they are not there.

My Neihbour use to go to that area for a day trip and come home with a moose back in the day. Too many preds, Calf season doesn’t help either. Also very thick countty. There is moose there, my co worker shot s decent bull in sept up there.

I've hunted 7-23 and the mus that border it 3 out of the last 6 years and have seen lots of moose. I usually go the last week in September.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

Yep our crew of 4 got 3 moose not far from your unit in same general area oct 1-7.
    there are lots of moose there, they just stay in the thick with all the hunter traffic zinging around on quads and boats. All 3 of ours were going in after them and packing out.

As crazy as it sounds they have liberal moose seasons there to intentionally reduce moose populations so there are less wolves hanging around to kill caribou. same with 7-16.
    Moose are still there but up high or along highway (no real access). Wolf cull helped a bit but not a ton of feed in the pine flats anyway. They do winter in there but low numbers in summer and fall.
    Very few moose in the no hunting zone as well, mostly small pine and lichen in there.
    If a tree falls in the woods....did I cut it down?

Just saw pictures of a 56" monster taken in the parsnip, so they are there! Lots of reports coming back the same as yours though so it would appear they are in pockets. Best of luck finding one of said pockets, just keep the boots to the ground and hopefully luck finds you.

Heading into this time of year as the rut winds down think food, water and cover. Red willow being a big part of their late fall appetite. If you find an area with these 3 things you have a good chance at bumping into a bull

Quote Originally Posted by ElliotMoose View Post
    Just saw pictures of a 56" monster taken in the parsnip, so they are there! Lots of reports coming back the same as yours though so it would appear they are in pockets. Best of luck finding one of said pockets, just keep the boots to the ground and hopefully luck finds you.

Heading into this time of year as the rut winds down think food, water and cover. Red willow being a big part of their late fall appetite. If you find an area with these 3 things you have a good chance at bumping into a bull
    I would love to see that picture ! Any chance of putting it up on this thread ?
    Arctic Lake

Quote Originally Posted by ElliotMoose View Post

Bingo..exactly.
    Steven